The library’s One Book program
not only brought a campus and
outside community together by
promoting literacy, but further
resulted in a sandwich making
service program for a local
emergency shelter. Various
student groups prepare
sandwiches every month.
Marketing Opportunities (big & small!)
● Host an event for alumni in collaboration with
the Alumni Affairs.
● Cooperate with the Institutional Advancement
office on fundraising opportunities.
● Participate in a campus wide events promoting
● Add link to a library on academic departments
● Provide a space in the library for student
● Use an entrance board to promote current
Free Food Isn’t Enough… It Takes Obama!
Sometimes enticing people
with food doesn’t cut it.
Successful library programs
are thoughtfully integrated
into the curriculum & support
Outreach to campus and outside community
Friends of the Library Group
Selecting Board Members:
● Include faculty who will help to promote the library.
● Include students who will participate in events and advocate for their needs.
related to the library to campus administration (materials, databases, hours,
● Include donors and people from the community who will bring attention of the
library needs to community at large.
Friends of the Library Leaflet
Include history of the library, information about services, and hours.
Uniqueness - draw attention to Special
Collections and archives
Support the Burritt Library
Provide information on library
services for campus community
and community at large. Include
information on ways to support
• Feedback from clientele (surveys, LibQUAL, etc.)
• Ebb and flow of the academic year (timing is essential)
• Alignment with strategic goals of the Library and College/University
• Are there certain segments of our clientele that deserve some extra
attention (for example, parents or students enrolled in new programs)?
A Few Considerations
2013 The Year of Italian Culture in the US
To Everything There is a Season...
End of Term “Stress Busters”
Strategy or Action Timeline Champion Resources Needed
Publish a newsletter for
2x per semester Homer Staff
Sponsor a new faculty
Late summer Lisa Staff and money for
Encourage humanities and
social sciences faculty to use
Special Collections and
Archives by hosting an
National Archives Month
Marge Staff, money for exhibit
Marketing/Outreach Goal 1: [INSERT GOAL STATEMENT HERE]
(Ex. Ensure that faculty are informed of new Library collections and services)
Objectives (Should be measurable!):
1. Increase the number of courses with an assigned embedded librarian
2. Increase the number of faculty library instruction requests
3. Increase use of materials in Special Collections and Archives
4. Increase use of XYZ database by at least 10%