The Landlady by Roald Dahl
Read Roald Dahl's story, then answer the following questions.
1. Why does Billy Weaver walk briskly down the street (line 21)?
a) He wants to impress his boss.
b) He wants to act like a successful businessman.
c) He wants to keep warm.
2. Which aspects of the house make Billy feel it would be a good place to stay?
3. Why did Billy not go to the pub?
4. What was unusual about the way the landlady responded to the doorbell?
5. Which aspects of the landlady’s appearance and voice make her seem trustworthy (lines 87-118)?
6. What evidence is there that the landlady had been expecting a guest?
7. What are the first signs that the landlady is very odd?
8. Billy doesn’t finish his sentence about Christopher Mulholland. What was he about to say?
9. Why is it frightening when the landlady says Mr Temple had perfect skin "just like a baby's"?
10.What do you think the landlady means when she says "I stuff all my little pets myself when they pass
11.How do you think Billy will die? Explain why you think so.
1 The first name of the main character of the story
4 What the hero saw burning in the hearth
5 water that has frozen
6 the paint was no longer regular, it was . . .
9 slightly crazy, what our hero thought the landlady was
11the taste of the tea was. . .
12the adjective to describe a sky filled with stars
13the buildings were high. We can also say they were . . .
15what our hero used to touch the dachsund with
16on the other side
18strange, queer. What our hero found the situation
19with a lot of energy
21the contrary of narrow, the synonym of large
22synonym of incredible
23means "decided". They had both accepted the situation
26the first name of another of the "young men"
27where the parrot was
1 another word for stomach
2 means "very". This is how cold the air was
3 a defect. The landlady said the other young man didn't have a single defect
6 abbreviation for British Telecom
7 not expensive
8 the part of a knife that you use to cut with
9 not alive
10the other word that you use with "either"
14place where you live
17the "thing" you take your belongings in, when you are travelling
19the infinitive of "is, am, are"
20the last name of our hero
24the last name of another of the young men
25of acceptable standard or quality.
Principio del formulario