ICONLOOP CTO Edward Ryu's keynote speech titled 'Development Status and Future of ICON'
ICON take part in Korea’s largest blockchain developer community day, ‘DevStamp 2018’, which will be held at the Korean Federation of Science and Technology Societies on December 18th.
A rhizome has no beginning or end; it is always in the
middle, between things, interbeing, intermezzo. The tree is
filiation, but the rhizome is alliance, uniquely alliance. The
tree imposes the verb "to be" but the fabric of the rhizome
is the conjunction, "and ... and ...and..."This conjunction
carries enough force to shake and uproot the verb "to be."
Where are you going? Where are you coming from? What
are you heading for? These are totally useless questions.
- Mille Plateaux, Gilles Deleuze & Felix Guattari
"Hyperconnect the world"
A platform to be chosen by users
What values do we bring to the users?
How is it changing their lives?
Hyperconnect the World
Build a community of communities based
on the consensus to our governance and
System based on Artificial
Easy token exchange
executed by Smart
Propose and vote for
ICON governance via
ICON is the global inter-chain project which connects all private and public blockchains in the world.
Citizen Citizen Citizen Citizen Citizen
• Representatives produce and validate blocks. They are elected based on staking, contribution, and votes from ICONist.
• Citizen synchronizes all block data from Representatives.
• Light Client has block headers for verifying a given tx.
Developer tools comparison
ICON ETH EOS
Smart Contract Development Python Solidity C/C++
SDK to call Smart Contract JS, JAVA, Python, Swift JS, JAVA, Python Node, Ruby JS, Python
Dev tool to interface Node Tbears ( CLI ) Remix ( Web ) Cleos ( CLI )
Local Blockchain Environment Tbears GETH EOSIO
DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT: T-Bears
▪ Programming Language: Python
▪ Developed locally, distributed to Store before
▪ Runs on Native Runtime Environment like
▪ Composed of loopchain nodes deployed to
(Smart Contract On Reliable
▪ Dev tools for easy development of ICON’s
Smart Contract(SCORE) and ICX
▪ Local development and local execution
▪ Available to deploy to testnet/mainnet after
finishing the development
▪ Smart Contract for token generation
▪ IIP, IRC token standard
▪ Smart ContractAddress
▪ Deployed to testnet and mainnet with contract
codes onTx instead of
▪ Future VM support (Solidity, Java)
ICON Development Network on AWS marketplace
AWS Cloud Formation
• ICON Development Network will allow developers to easily run a private instance of the ICON Blockchain
Network through AWS.
Blockchain for Enterprise (1)
Online banking certificate issued by 25
securities firms on blockchain
A campus crypto platform on a smart
Pilot service running at Sogang
University and Postech University
Pilot test with Kyobo Life Insurance, a major life
insurance company in South Korea
Automated Insurance Claim
We understand the benefits, challenges, and opportunities in enterprises
Blockchain for Enterprise (2)
• 관세청 - 블록체인 기반 개인통관 서비스 플랫폼 구축 시범사업 진행 중
• 정밀의료 병원정보 시스템 (P-HIS) 의료데이터 무결성 확보 기술 개발 진행 중
• 서울시 블록체인 시범 사업 진행 중
• 중앙선관위 차세대 선거 시스템 구축 진행 중
• 교보생명 스마트 보험금 청구 및 스마트 보장분석 사업 진행 중
What we’ve done & What we are doing
Issues Done Doing
Parallel processing Tx,
BTP(Blockchain Transfer Protocol),.
SCORE (python based smart contract) with tbears,
AWS marketplace (to support blockchain in private/
More Samples, documents, technical supports, …
Oracle problem Private/Enterprise blockchains Connecting Private blockchain via BTP.
Lack of killer dApps ICONest (ICO platform) Decentralized ID, STO, DEX, Vault, Secret Vote.
IISS (ICON Incentive Scoring System),
Transaction Fee system
At the core, ICON rewards those who contribute to the ecosystem
Delegated Proof of Contribution
• P-Rep is elected by delegation of
stake of ICX.
• Incentive system that allocates block
rewards based on level of
contribution (Block producing, Tx,
Reasonable dApp usage Fee Incentive System for Developers
• Fee can be shared by Smart
Contract operators and users
• Smart contract operators can save
fee by staking ICX tokens
• Incentive will be distributed for DApp
developers and ICON contributors
according to IISS(ICON Incentive
• IISS focus on the developers who
can make transactions
ICON with Full
blockchains and real world
Decentralized Identifier (DID)
Issuer Holder Verifier
Decentralized Identifier (DIDs)
1. Reg DIDIssuer 2. Reg DIDHolder
3. Request Claim
4. Issue Verifiable Claim
5. Save Verifiable
6. Present Verifiable Claim
8. Connect to
7. Verify (Check Signature)
Decentralized Identiﬁers (DIDs) are a new type of identiﬁer for veriﬁable, "self-sovereign" digital identity. DIDs are fully under the control of the DID
subject, independent from any centralized registry, identity provider, or certiﬁcate authority.
Decentralized Identifier (DID)
Blockchain DID 인증 실생활 인증 온라인 인증
사용자가 개인 증명 자료와
요청 정보를 Issuer에게 제출
사용자가 신분증 발급 신청서와
확인 소명 자료를 주민센터에 제출
사용자가 공인인증서 발급기관 또는 등록 기관(은행/증
권사) 방문 후 주민등록증 제시
Issuer는 증명 자료와 요청 정보를 기반으로
Verifiable Claim 발급
주민센터는 제출 서류로 신분증 발급 등록기관에서 공인인증서 발급 신청
3단계 사용자 Verifiable Claim 저장 (사용자 소유) 사용자 신분증 수령(본인 소유) 공인인증서 온라인 발급 및 저장
사용자는 온라인 마트에서 주류 구매 시
Verifiable Claim 제출
사용자는 주류 구매 시 마트 직원에게 신분증 제시
온라인에서 공인인증서와 함께 주민등록번호 제시
(공인인증서 본인확인 기능 활용)
• Issuer 선택 가능하고, 소유한 Verifiable Claim들 중 하나를 선택 제출할 수 있도록 설계되어 탈 중앙화 가능 .
• 개인 정보를 저장하지 않음.
Parallel Processing of Tx
Solution for Scalability
• Transaction is supposed be executed sequentially. —> Most of transactions are independent each other.
• Sharing, side-chain, plasma, …
Parallel Execution of Tx
• Transaction execution time is one of major bottle-neck of blockchain.
• Independent transactions can be executed in parallel.
• Executor Manager can determine the independence of transaction
by “from”, “to”, and explicit decorator in smart contract.
ICONest for ICO/STO
User friendly token generation and management platform
Create and set projects with simple information inputs without
complex programming job
Improved convenience for project managers by providing follow-up
managements including refund and unlock
Successful token sale
Projects like Bluewhale/weBloc are successfully doing token
sales via ICONest
More diverse projects are further planned for token sales via
ICONest in the future
Token Launch Platform for ICON partners
ICON P-Rep Election : ICONSENSUS
The Representatives of the ICON Network
A P-Rep represents ICONists who do not belong to any specific
Community. It is elected by evidencing its sufficient
contribution to the ICON Network or by receiving sufficient
delegations from other ICONists. A P-Rep also verifies
transactions on the ICON Network, but unlike a C-Rep, it
proposes and votes policies that maximize overall ICONist
interests of the ICON Network. A P-Rep possesses the same
authority and duty as a C-Rep.