China Game Market Overview
Client Game Web Game Social Game
Online Game Market Mobile Game Market Console Game
2012 China Game Market (xMillion USD)
China Game Market Summary
• Console Games are not popular in China.
• MMORPG first exploded.
• Browser Games then boomed.
• Paid games attract few players in China.
• F2P games are rapidly developing in China.
Differences in Marketing
• There are no OPEN mobile social platforms.
• Mobile advertising has not been well-developed.
Differences in Distribution Channels
Differences in Operation
• Different Orientations of marketing and operation
(User acquisition + Operation activities + Customer service）
– The overseas companies are Pruduct-Oriented.
• Improve functions – Acquire Data – Keep Optimization
– Chinese companies are Operation-Oriented.
• Promotion campaigns – Lift ARPPU and Purchase Rate
• Hierarchy in costumer service
• Motto for Asia:
“All metric performances can be changed by operation
Differences in Players
• Huge income gap in Chinese players
– Purchase Rate=2% ，Monthly ARPPU=$150
• Hard-Core players dominate the market
– 80% revenue accounts for 20% players
• Distinctive consumption behaviors
– Equipment, limited products and acceleration
are cognitive items for Chinese players.
Differences in Payment
• Big orders are essential for Chinese company.
– iOS: 99 USD / order
– Android: 2000 USD / order
• Alipay and Carrier Billing are also the popular
Differences in Monetization
Rank Competition VIP Level (Paid User)
Current Product Trends in China
TOP 25 2013.03 2013.09
Card Battle 11 8
SLG 7 6
MMORPG 4 5
Casual 2 3
• Card Battle Games hit 2013
• SLG shares reasonable market space
• MMORPG grows, similar to PC client
• Casual game market would be
monopolized by WeChat
• Only COC and MA are imported
Overseas Product Opportunities
• High quality casual games
– Angry Birds, Temple Run, Where’s My Water already hit China
• Blank record of western online mobile games
– Clash of Clans has no android version
– 10+ copy COC in china android market
• Don’t try the unfamiliar game theme
– Three kingdoms，Martial Arts
• High quality & long life-time-circle product
– China will become the country with the most amount of mobile game
– China’s product need more improvement in short term.
Key Factors for Western Online
Games in China Market
• Localization (Game Contents & Marketing Contents）
• Coverage of TOP distribution channels
• Operation events planned for Chinese players
• Adjustment of Chinese monetization
• Powerful local service
• Start up in 2010
• Now 330 employees (60% in development dept.)
• Globalization Vision
• Devoting in Mobile Game Development and Publish
• Already covered
Chinese, Korean, Japanese, English, German,
French, Russian, Portuguese markets