• Jazz Trumpeter, born 1961.
• 1981 releases debut album.
• Worked with Jazz Messengers & Herbie Hancock.
• 1985 released Black Codes (From the Underground)
• 1987 begins work with Lincoln Centre in NewYork.
• 2000 Ken Burns makes documentary Jazz.
DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES
• 1985 Sting breaks away from The Police.
• Hires an all African-American group of jazz musicians –
Branford Marsarlis (Sax), Kenny Kirkland (piano), Darryl Jones
(bass) and Omar Hakim (dr’s).
• Release Dream of the Blue Turtles and the whole process is
filmed/recorded for a documentary and live album – Bring on
• Steve Coleman (Sax), with musicians Graham Haynes (tpt),
CassandraWilson (vocals), Geri Allen (pn), Robin Eubanks
(trombone) and Greg Osby (Sax)form M-Base
• Macro - Basic Array of Structured Extemporizations
• “a way of thinking about creating music, it is not the music
itself.”The conception is one focused on personal experience
(growth) expressed through music (creativity).
• 1985 records You’re Under Arrest which features Human Nature
and Time After Time.
• Pop instrumentation and recording techniques.
• Jazz “standards” of the 1980/90’s
• Human Nature – Michael Jackson
• Dream of the Blue Turtles – Sting
• Rockit – Herbie Hancock
• Officium – Jan Garbarek
• House party and dance music with jazz improvisation.
• Developed in the early 1990’s, particularly in U.K
• Bands includes - Us3,Brand New Heavies,Incognito and
• Guitarist, born 1954.
• Thought to be one of the originators of The Real Book.
• Debut album Bright Sized Life – 1976
• Prolific musician, defies classification.
• Jazz and Indian
• jazz and Balkan
• Jazz and Jewish
• Jazz and Gaelic
• Jazz and Scandanavian folk music
• Jazz and all Latin American styles and regions,
• and on, and on….
• Based in Munich, Germany.
• High quality and diverse styles.
• Representative of Jazz as international music.