Most conversion tracking tools credit only the last link or ad clicked. But in reality, we are not a last-click society. In real life, consumers research, compare and have multiple touch points across multiple channels, or sources of traffic, before making a final decision on where they would like to make a purchase, submit a lead form or take another action.
This presentation gives an overview of what multi-channel funnels are, why measuring the whole funnel before the conversion is important, and several ways you can take action on the data from Google Analytics Multi-Channel Funnels feature.
Read the full article here: http://www.tentacleinbound.com/articles/understanding-multi-channel-conversions?utm_source=slideshare.net&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mcf
Leads can come from many sources,
often in the same path to conversion.
Most tools only credit the last
touch point before the conversion.
This is a mistake.
shop around, and
touch points across
before making a
… that only measures the “action”
part of the funnel.
It overlooks driving
interest, and creating
the desire that lead to
the final action – or
Use Default or Custom channels.
• Default Channels: Organic
Search, Paid Search, Direct
Traffic, Referral Links, Display
Ads, E-mail Marketing & Social
Networking. Can be grouped.
• Custom Channels: Create these
for other marketing efforts, like
offline radio or TV campaigns to
vanity URLs, for example.
Assisted Conversions Report
• How many leads or sales were started, assisted, or
completed from a marketing channel.
• If you assign a dollar value to goal conversions, can
also estimate the value of the channel.
Top Conversions Path Report
Demonstrates the unique paths (or sequences of
touch points) users took to convert.
Time Lag Report
Shows length of time
in days that it took
visitors to convert.
Ranges from 0 (same
day) to 12+ by
Path Length Report
Shows length of path
in number of
interactions it took
visitors to convert.
Ranges from 1
channel to 12+
channels by default.
Assisted/Last Click Conversions
• Source is more
when number is closer
• Source is more of an
when number is
further over 1.
• Consider the volume of
Capitalize on Patterns
• Look for patterns of highly successful conversion
sequences, and try to replicate them in more
• Could we better use two or more marketing
channels together for a more powerful effect? i.e.
Are organic searchers who previously engaged with
a social media post more likely to convert than
visitors from either of the channels alone?
• If we dropped efforts in one channel, would it
reduce the impact of marketing efforts in other
parts of the funnel?
• Should we shift our limited budget to emphasize
higher direct converting areas?
• Should we scale back or eliminate spend entirely in
a low-performing marketing channel?
• Could we plan a coordinated marketing campaign
across channels with elevated, but more efficient,
• How should we time each component of our
campaign to maximize its effects?
Adjust Marketing Messages
• Should assistant channels have more high funnel
• Should direct converting channels have more clear
calls-to-action to complete the conversion?
• How do we tailor our message to each channel
based on its primary role in the conversion funnel?
Find Converting Keywords
• Find high-converting organic or paid keywords that
initiate, assist, or complete conversions.
• Should we increase PPC bids to strengthen those
• Can we invest more resources into content strategy
to gain organic traffic for those terms?
Optimize Marketing Mix
• Find the most profitable tactics and amplify them.
• Find gaps in the marketing mix and fill them.
• Find less effective marketing tactics with
diminishing returns, and change, scale back, or
Talk to Bosses, Clients and C-Levels
• Help important stakeholders understand what you
do all day.
• Prove the real dollar value of your coordinated
• Give credit to both direct and assisting channels’
contributions to the bottom line.
• Show the potential impact (positive or negative) of
removing touch points from the path.
Need help making sense of your
Contact us today to learn how to make the most of your
web analytics, and make the data work for you.
Tentacle Inbound serves small- and medium-sized
business owners nationwide with their digital and
website marketing needs.