Thursday, May 22nd
1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
University of Minnesota
• About me
• Heather Albrecht, GIS Analyst
• Story maps are easy to configure web applications
that integrate web maps with text, photos, and other
content to tell geography based stories.
• Programming not required!
• And you are?
• ESRI App (iOS, Android, Windows Phone)
• Collector for ArcGIS App (iOS, Android)
• Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS (Windows OS laptop)
• ESRI Maps for Office (Windows OS laptop, with Office 2010+)
Download these apps
• What is ArcGIS Online?
• What’s in it for me?
• Build your organization
• Your data in the cloud
• Easy to configure web maps
• Sharing with Story Maps
• GIS on the go with Collector
• Operations Dashboard for
• High-accuracy data collection
• GIS for the non-GIS
• ESRI Maps for Office
Today let’s discuss
• A collaborative, cloud based platform that allows for the creation
and sharing of maps, apps, and data.
• Access to ESRI’s secure cloud environment, where you manage and
store hosted web services.
• At the center of ESRI’s GIS platform, used as a stand-alone service or
as an extension to ArcGIS desktop, ArcGIS server, and into Microsoft
What is ArcGIS Online?
• ArcGIS Online can showcase the value GIS brings to your
• Empower users with the ability to create maps quickly and easily
with the ArcGIS Online map viewer and ESRI Maps for Office.
• Move your data into the field using configurable web applications.
• Now with ArcGIS desktop you receive an entitlement subscription to
What’s in it for me?
• Each license of ArcGIS for Desktop
entitles you to one named user
and 100 credits
• 1,000 additional credits may be
purchased for $100
• Upgrade to a level 1 subscription
for, $2500 adding 5 users and
2,500 credits to your account
• Email from ESRI with the subject:
“Activating your ArcGIS Online Subscription”
or “Your Additional ArcGIS Online for
Organizations Account Service Credits and
Credits are currency
What can I do with 100 credits?
Step 1: Design your site
• Create an account
• The user that activates the account will be defaulted to the site administrator role
• Your site will have a custom URL selected by the administrator upon activation
• Set up your organization’s site from the My Organization’s Page
User Role – Access to hosted
services to create and share maps
Publisher Role – Has user privileges,
plus the ability to add data to
Administrator Role – Has privileges
of publisher and user, plus
additional capabilities to manage
the organization and other users:
• Manage and configure site
• Invite and manage users
• Monitor storage and usage
• Other users may be given an
administrator role, this is
unlimited, but there must be one
Step 2: Invite users
Hint: invitation to join may end up in junk mail
• Centralized location for storing, accessing, and sharing spatial data and
• Extend GIS capabilities and collaboration tools throughout your
• My content
• ESRI enriched data layers
• Web Map
• Web mapping applications
• Operations dashboard
Your data in the cloud
• A web map is an interactive
display of geographic data that
you can use to tell stories, answer
questions, and edit data.
What is a web map?
•Collect data - Outfall (asset) inspections
•Share information – Street maintenance and road closures
•Tell stories – Where are the carp?
•Answer questions – Where is my staff relative to my projects?
•Mobilize geographic data – Edit data in the field with high-accuracy
• GIS is evolving to become part of everyday work life for many people.
• Geographic analysis is the foundation of GIS used to reveal patterns, trends.
• New analysis capabilities are continuously being added to ArcGIS Online
Spatial analysis capabilities
Make better decisions
Respond to events
Engage with citizens and customers
• Quickly and easily build and display useful and
interactive information products to share
• You can produce story web maps without writing any
1. create a web map
2. provide supporting material, such as text and images
3. configure application using the template file
4. Share your story
What can you do with a story
Customize apps using web map id
consume the web maps from a ArcGIS Online.
var webmap = new esri.arcgis.utils.createMap(“hbascjhv5757acsdvvv424vsd”, "map");
• Create a WebMap in ArcGIS Online. Note web map id to reference
• Bring web map into the application by providing id or by accessing
individual Feature Layer REST endpoints.
Web Map ID
• Capture and update information using the built-in GPS
capabilities of your smartphone
• Use intelligent forms to ensure data accuracy and to
simplify data collection
Create Efficiency with Collector
• Capture pictures and videos of
• Seamlessly integrate
information back to
1. Create a new File Geodatabase in ArcCatalog
• Provide an organized list of attributes to be collected using domains and subtypes
• Apply the data dictionary to a point feature class
• Project the data to Coordinate system WGS 1984 (auxiliary sphere)
• Right click the feature class an enable attachments
Create your own Collector Map
2. Publish to ArcGIS Online from ArcGIS Desktop
• Add your point feature class to desktop and save map
• Click File menu > Share As > Service to publish from Desktop
3. Feature service Properties
• Set capabilities to feature access
• Allow for updates, editing, querying
• Share with your organization
• May choose to share only with specific groups
4. Configure web map in AGO
• Add feature service to web map
• Save and share
• Monitor day to day operations…
• Map and inventory all assets…
• Maintain the health of your assets…
In Real Time
• Substantial investments made in sub-meter
accuracy handheld GPS units
• Now everyone is talking tablets in the field with
3+/- meter average
• Is that realistic?!
• Feature services hosted in ArcGIS Online
• Configured with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile
• Allow for high accuracy data collection with your Trimble GPS units
High Accuracy Data Collection
Mapping made easy: ESRI maps for Office
Works in Excel
Also in Power Point
1. Open a spreadsheet with
fields indicating a location
2. Click Insert map
3. Highlight the range of cells
that contain locational data
How to map in Excel
4. Align the locational
fields to geodcode
• ESRI Maps Web Parts—Web parts that enable a rich
display of SharePoint lists and ArcGIS Services.
• ESRI Maps Locate Workflow—Spatially enables
SharePoint lists that contain address, coordinate, or
ESRI Maps for SharePoint
• ESRI Maps Location field—
Allows adding a column to
SharePoint lists that displays
the location of each list item
on an interactive map.