Successfully reported this slideshow.
Introduction To Linux
Done By: Haya Al Jord
What is Linux
•Linux is a generic term referring
to Unix-like graphical user
interface (GUI) based computer
•It is Multi-user.
• In 80’s, Microsoft’s DOS was the dominated OS for
• Apple MAC was better, but expensive
• UNIX was much better, but much, much more
expensive. Only for minicomputer for commercial
• People was looking for a UNIX based system,
which is cheaper and can run on PC
Beginning of Linux
• In Sept 1991, Linus Torvalds, a second year
student of Computer Science at the University of
Helsinki, developed the preliminary kernel of
Linux, known as Linux version 0.0.1.
• Linux has been used for many computing
• PC, Supercomputer
• Commercial vendors moved in Linux itself to
provide freely distributed code. About 29 million
people use Linux worldwide
What makes it unique?
Users like its speed .
Licensed under GPL
• An operating system is a
software program that
enables the computer
hardware to communicate
and operate with the
computer software. E.g:
Open source Software
• People can improve its software , people adapt it, people fix bugs.
And this can happen at a speed that, compared to conventional
• Red Hat Linux : One of the original Linux
• The commercial, nonfree version is Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, which is aimed at big companies
using Linux servers and desktops in a big way
• Debian GNU/Linux : A free software distribution.
Popular for use on servers
• Gentoo Linux : Gentoo is a specialty
distribution meant for programmers
Why did we choose Linux for Internet
• Was available with all necessary Internet software 6 years
back when Microsoft Windows was not ready for Internet.
• Lower hardware requirements.