Skills & personal attributes/qualities needed
• To do this role, you will need to: have good spatial and layout design skills
• Have knowledge of 3D modeling and a firm grasp of game design principles
• have the ability to visualize layouts
• have a practical understanding of programming and scripting language to work
closely with artists and programmers
• be able to train the QA Testers to play the game
• have IT skills and competence in the use of world-editing tool
• shave knowledge of different platforms
• be very well organized be able to work both independently and as part of a team
• be able to accept and give direction
• be imaginative and creative
• have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
• pay close attention to detail and be able to evaluate quality
• have a passion for games and knowledge of game design theory
• have knowledge of the requirements of the relevant health and safety legislation
• need an understanding of the conventions of game playing and an awareness of
the target market
What qualifications do you need?
There are no specific qualifications needed to become a level
editor. Most people in this industry are graduates. Things
which may help you in this job is studying study design,
engineering or software development.
It is very important that you have experience in the industry.
This job is rarely an entry-level role. You must have experience
in order to become a level editor.
One route which you could take in order to become a level
editor is by starting off at various junior positions in the
For example you could start off as a QA Tester and move up to
an level editor, this gives you helpful experience and give you
an overview of the development process, access to software
and tools, and insight to the different jobs.