Using a project management software can increase your productivity, communication, accountability, and trust within teams. Learn how to design a process flow and how to translate that into the setup of a project management like Trello.
“If you can’t describe what you
are doing as a process, you don’t
know what you are doing.”
– W. Edwards Deming
Principles of project management and how to use Trello
• How to create an organization
• How to create a board
• How to manage members
• Types of workﬂows and how to set up a workﬂow
• How to add, assign, and move cards
1 Improve communication
2 Control access for more security
3 Facilitate onboarding and training
4 Increase accountability
5 Build collaboration
6 Hold effective team meetings
Improve communication: avoid the chaos of email.
• Discuss items without having to repeat the context.
• Separate tasks and address them independently.
• If people ask for or share info via email, ask them to post
or ﬁnd it in the project management system.
• Follow up on tasks in the system; use email only for
urgent or off-task communication.
Keep membership and access up to date.
• No need to hunt for email addresses or wonder if you’ve
• Remove access when someone leaves the team.
• Make it easy for people to tag each other on tasks and
Onboard new members efﬁciently.
• When new people new joins the team, make sure they are
added to the system.
• New members will immediately see all projects, events,
discussions, and announcements on the boards. You won’t
need to ﬁnd past emails and forward information.
• Walk new members through the projects, processes, and
resources by using the system in training.
Increase accountability with an effective workﬂow.
• Assign individuals to all tasks.
• Organize tasks and projects and the process steps.
• Identify potential bottlenecks.
• Make sure all team members know the steps they must
complete to ﬁnish a project and not skip critical steps.
Is text ﬁnal?
Build collaboration through transparency.
•Openly share progress.
•Quickly bring key events or announcements to everyone’s
•Ask for help and learn from each other.
Hold effective team meetings.
• Review throughout the week how projects are
progressing so that less meeting time is used for
progress updates and more time is focused on issues
• View the project boards together in team meetings.
• Enter and assign action items in the system as they are
being discussed in the meeting.
Keep card titles short.
• Have more to say? Put it in the description.
• Titles should clearly convey what will be found in the
2 Put key info in description; everything else in comments.
• Don’t ask a question in the title or description of a card.
• If you are writing something you would expect someone
to reply to, it should be a comment.
web / apiarity.com
email / email@example.com