Importance of Insights into
How NYU uses it
Some unanswered questions
● How many sites are being created and when?
● What is the most popular theme or a plugin among all the sites?
● Are all my plugins compatible with latest WordPress version?
● Are any of my 10000s sites getting spammed?
● Is some user misbehaving within my multisite environment which affect
overall network performance?
● How are my users connected to each other through different sites?
WP Network Stats
● Developed for New York University
● Can answer all of the above questions and many more
● Features -
○ Background processing for generating new statistics for the network. It allows you to
safely generate stats without compromising the performance of your large multisite
○ Ability to fine tune batch processing settings.
○ Protected network admin settings.
○ Notification when the stats are available.
○ Analytics dashboard using D3 charts to gain insights into some of the generated data.
○ Generates set of CSV files corresponding to different types of stats.
○ You can selectively generate the stats you need - Sites Stats, Plugins Stats, Themes Stats
or Users Stats.
● Send targeted communication emails. e.g.,
○ To all the admins of sites which has more than 1000 attachments about potential
○ To site admin who is allowing comments from public about potential spam issues.
○ To all the users who use a specific plugin/theme about upcoming changes to that
● Decide migration strategies when replacing/retiring a plugin/theme based
on its usage.
○ What to do when a plugin/theme is found incompatible with latest WordPress release
● Archive/delete sites or content created by alumni.