Chapter 3: Key Issue 2
Where Are Migrants Distributed?
1. Read the section “Global Migration Patterns” and make summary statements about global migration patterns.
2. Finish this statement: The world’s third most populous country (the U.S.) is inhabited overwhelmingly by…
3. Annotate the graph below from your reading of pages 88-93. Be sure to label all “peaks” and “valleys” (as
indicated by arrows) as well as the national origins of immigrants during different periods.
Read Recent Immigration from Less Developed Regions (pp. 92-93) and answer the following questions:
4. During the 19th Century and first half of the 20th Century, how many Asians immigrated to the U.S.?
5. How many Asians immigrated to the U.S. during the last quarter of the 20th Century?
6. What were the FOUR countries which sent the most immigrants from Asia in recent years?
7. Describe three ways in which immigration to Canada is different than immigration to the U.S. in terms of
the following ethnicities:
c. Latin Americans
8. In what years did immigration from Latin America explode and peak?
9. What three Latin America countries have sent the most immigrants to the U.S. in the last 25 years?
10. In what stage of the demographic transition are most countries that send immigrants?
11. Although the reason people leave their countries to immigrate to the U.S. have not changed over time, what
has changed here in the U.S.?
12. Complete the table regarding European immigration
What were some of the causes of European What were some of the important effects of European
immigration to the U.S.? other world regions? immigration to the U.S. and other world regions?
13. What are undocumented immigrants?
14. Where do most undocumented immigrants to the U.S. come from?
15. How did the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act attempt to change the status of some illegal
immigrants; that is, which did it try to help and how?
Fold the page at the line and glue this part
into your notebook.
Chapter 3 Key Issue 2
Glue this activity into your notebook under the reading activity for Key
16. Read Destination of Immigrants Within the United States (p. 95) and annotate the map below. Write any
important facts/notes around the map. Be sure to indicate the following: Which states are the destination
for most immigrants to the U.S.? From where are immigrants coming? Which states are the destinations of
which groups of immigrants?