Sac Manifesto

407 views

Published on

Published in: Technology, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
407
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
3
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Sac Manifesto

  1. 1. SAC: leading the cultural sector towards environmental sustainability
  2. 2. Who is Envirodigital? • Hannah Rudman – Leading AmbITion – Wrote Getting Digital for SAC, toolkits for ACE – Advising ACE, SAC & MMM – Currently working with 5 SNPACs, TAB, Festivals Edinburgh, NTW • Alan Blunt – Ex-CEO of SCRAN – Wrote original digital plans for Creative Scotland – Business Advisor to start ups in clean tech and digital for SE – Currently working with EIFF
  3. 3. What is Envirodigital? • Envirodigital is a newly formed company, – a full service change management agency, based in Edinburgh • Digital development • Sustainable development • Environmental sustainability
  4. 4. What is Envirodigital? • set up to help organisations work out: – why to make environmentally sustainable changes; – where they are at now and where they should be in relation to being carbon neutral and environmentally sustainable; – what environmentally sustainable changes to make - especially using clean and digital technologies; – what new opportunities present themselves due to new ways of working; and – how best to manage the organisational change of implementation.
  5. 5. Why is Envirodigital? • Envirodigital believes that – IT accounts for 2% of global CO2 emissions and can help significantly reduce the other 98%. – the earth and it’s resources can’t sustain growth as we currently experience it – implementing intelligent digital solutions together with encouraging people to do the best thinking that they can do is a serious step forward – by looking at the whole of a business, previously unknown opportunities might be uncovered, and point to unexpected directions in which to thrive and develop
  6. 6. Why is a Manifesto needed? • We’re already benchmarking and provoking with artistic responses
  7. 7. But CFOs still don’t… • See the threat of doing nothing • Understand legislative landscape • Feel that holistic sustainability/resilience strengthening is supported by funders and therefore worth investing in • Have imperative to change • Feel the need to take moral leadership on this issue
  8. 8. Why such a big issue? • The biggest threat to the cultural sector’s medium to long-term sustainability is upon us. It is not increasing competition for audience spend or attention. It is not even a decreasing of the public funding purse. • The threat is the far greater than any of these things. • The threat is the world’s sustainability as a habitable planet, where advanced culture can still be enjoyed.
  9. 9. Manifestos work! • Think: John Knell, The Art of Dying, Whose Art is it Anyway? – Provided thought leadership – Started debate • But didn’t – Instigate change quickly – Provide suggested framework for change
  10. 10. What’s the proposal? • A Manifesto +Plus – A provocation paper - blog, film, publication • Factual • Inspiring • Route map for action suggested – A social network • Resource (links, toolkits) • Support – A conference • “Officially” on the agenda – A supported change programme
  11. 11. “We-think” “We-Think: the power of mass creativity is about what the rise of the likes of Wikipedia and Youtube, Linux and Craigslist means for the way we organise ourselves, not just in digital businesses but in schools and hospitals, cities and mainstream corporations. My argument is that these new forms of mass, creative collaboration announce the arrival of a society in which participation will be the key organising idea rather than consumption and work. People want to be players not just spectators, part of the action, not on the sidelines.” Charles Leadbeater, thinker and author. www.wethinkthebook.net
  12. 12. Why Social Networks?
  13. 13. Who’s behind it so far? • MMM: publishing partner • Dr Chris Rapley, Science Museum • Pat Mandeville, DCMS • ACE, ACW - interested in partnership with SAC • Carbon Trust & SE

×