Agency disruption and evolving new business models
JWT HYPER ISLAND MC
BE IN THE DRIVER SEAT!
August 22th – 24th, 2012
THE MAIN 1
‣ TO DISCUSS THE CLIENT-SPECIFIC CHALLENGES WE‘RE FACING REGARDING DIGITAL CHANGE.
‣ TO LEARN FROM EARLY ADOPTERS WITHIN THE AD INDUSTRY.
THE MAIN 2
‣ WHAT‘S YOUR MOST CRITICAL DIGITAL WEAK SPOT?
THE MAIN 3
THE RED THREAD
THE ACTUAL NUMBER
OF MISTAKES GROW.
YOUR CLIENTS CHANGE
MUST BE RETHOUGHT.
THE MAIN 4
THE MAIN 6
LACK OF KNOWHOW DESTROYS
‣ ... ODER VIELLEICHT DOCH?
‣ LAUNCHED TO KILL – THE VERY EXPENSIVE INVISIBILITY COUP
‣ IT‘S NOT A PROBLEM TO BE STUPID, WE ALL ARE. LET‘S ADMIT IT!
THE MAIN 7
‣ 150.000 UNIQUE WEBSITE USERS PER MONTH, STILL NO SOPHISTICATED WEB ANALYTICS.
THE MAIN 8
‣ DIGITALIZATION MEANS MEASURABILITY. OF EVERYTHING. WE CAN‘T HIDE ANYMORE.
THE MAIN 9
KPI‘S ALONG THE
Advertising and sales are more
and more directly connected.
COST PER CLICK
COST PER ORDER
FANS & FOLLOWERS
THE MAIN 10
‣ OUR CLIENTS ARE GETTING NERVOUS. SOME OF THEM ARE EVEN SCARED.
‣ CLIENT #1 – I HAVE EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL, I DON‘T MAKE MISTAKES. MY AGENCY DOES.
‣ CLIENT #2 – I KNOW THAT I DON‘T KNOW NOTHING. HELP ME THROUGH THESE TIMES.
THE MAIN 11
CHANGE STARTS WITH THE CLIENT BRIEF.
THE MAIN 13
PER ORDER BY
SALES BY 15%
‣ THE CLIENT BRIEFS BECOME MORE COMPLEX.
‣ NEW KPI`S, NEW SCORECARDS, AND NEW TASKS WILL CHANGE YOUR PRODUCT!
THE MAIN 14
DEVELOP 360° BRAND
‣ We need to constantly
learn and hire new
‣ We need to share
‣ We earn less than we
STRATEGY BASED ON
‣ We have to become
understanding the on& offline consumer.
‣ We have more work
with planning and
‣ We have to know
‣ We have to become
‣ We‘ll produce and
REDUCE COST PER
‣ We need to think
and business solutions.
THE MAIN 15
AKQA IS OFFERING SOCIAL IDEAS. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
‣ From 2001 – 2003 AKQA has changed from a rather
strictly digitial practitioner to an all-round „ideasled“ agency.
THE MAIN 18
AKQA IS FOCUSING ON SOCIAL IDEAS.
THE MAIN 19
We believe in the power and value
of ideas, consequently we develop,
incubate, invest in and curate new
ideas, products and properties.
WHAT IS YOUR BUSINESS MODEL?
‣ The agency does not sell time or keep timesheets, but
instead bills on the value of the output, not the cost of
THE MAIN 20
RG/A – THE
AGENCY FOR THE
“Here, we’re trying to look at a more
integrated model for how new
products and services can work more
closely together through technology.”
‣ Full Service Digital Agency integrating Planning, Media, Artwork and Technology
‣ Combining platform development, marketing solutions and campaigns
‣ New Services: Consulting, Product Innovation, Branded Entertainment
THE MAIN 21
NEW MEDIA SPECTRUM
WILL YOU OFFER
Online PR Cooperations Platforms Multscreen eCommerce
WHAT IS YOUR SELF-CONCEPT?
CONTENT / RICH MEDIA
TECHNOLOGY / CODING
THE MAIN 22
CULTURE AND STRUCTURE
THE MAIN 23
Labs is BBH‘s global innovation unit. We‘re tasked
with pioneering new outputs and approaches: exploring
emerging platforms and behaviours on behalf of
brands, and developing new agency models along the
way. Our overall ambition is to find ways in which
marketing innovation can be a powerful force for good
(more engaging, more sustainable, more exciting).
We‘re particularly interestested in:
Marketing Skunkworks – new models around
technology, entertainment and brands.
‣ Innovative new forms of creativity
‣ Novel approaches that are rapid,
iterative & curatorial
‣ The mashup of thinking from radically
different sources & industries
‣ Sustainable marketing at scale
‣ Co-creation and mass collaboration
‣ Social ideas and how they propagate
‣ Marketing as product or service
THE MAIN 24
TO HAPPEN TO
Is it still
INNOVATION FOSTERS INNOVATION.
THE MAIN 26
A CULTURE OF INNOVATION FOSTERS INNOVATION.
THE MAIN 29
DO WE NEED TO
Optimized process “Integrated campaign”
Creative brief (cross channel)
Off- and online
New process “Creative Platforms”
Marketing concept ready
Development of an
Online / offline
THE MAIN 30
“With the appointments of Jeff Benjamin and Mike Geiger, JWT
solidifies its position as the only agency that can deliver creativity
and execution at the intersection of Silicon Alley, Madison Avenue
WILL HIRING THE BEST BRAINS SOLVE ALL OUR PROBLEMS AT ONCE?
THE MAIN 35
IT‘S A WAR FOR
HR PEOPLE WILL HAVE TO ADD SALES SKILLS TO HIRE AND KEEP PEOPLE.
PERMANENT TRAINING (ALSO HR).
BUILD HIGH QUALITY NETWORKS WITH PREFERRED PARTNERS AND FREELANCERS.
MORE SOPHISTICATED AND AD HOC KNOWLEDGE / PEOPLE SOURCING / SOCIAL RECRUITING
THE MAIN 36
Document your group discussion on
Google Docs! Here‘s the link:
Organizational Culture & Structure
‣ How you can you establish a culture fostering
‣ What structure would help you improve your
What‘s your (digital) vision for JWT?
What‘s your product in the future?
What can you do to bring it to life?
What are the cash cows you have to secure?
DISCUSS THESE QUESTIONS IN YOUR GROUPS FOR 30 MINUTES.
‣ How do you need to improve your way of working
to develop creative digital platform solutions?
‣ Any other innovative ideas to approach your
‣ What people / competencies do we need?
‣ What can we do to educate our people?
‣ How can we integrate people, who think outside of
THE MAIN 38
Thanks for listening!
THE MAIN GMBH
+49 (0) 40 29 81 20 77 40
THE MAIN 39