Five senses generate nerveimpulses that cause brain cellsto connect, forming circuits andnetworks.Therefore: connect academicmaterial to concrete, sensoryexperiences:Sing, measure, talk, listen,write, build, draw, jump, run.Engage all the senses to learnacademic material.1. The Brain shapes itself in response to theoutside world.
2. The brain searches for meaning. Many teachingmethods help the brain discover meaning.• Link lessons with concrete, realthings that engage the senses. Drawon things students already know, orcreate new experiences.• Ask students to organize materialinto patterns that hold meaning:webs, charts, diagrams, sequences,cause-effect connections, chunking,and outlining.• Engage in projects, problem-solving,service learning, discovery learning,and performances.• Question, make choices, acceptresponsibility
3. Rotating the memory helps us acquire skillsand make them automatic• Practice, review, repeat• Chunk information• Rearrange• Outline• Summarize• Use physical movement• Make things meaning full!
4. Emotions are always with us• We pay 3 to 5 times more attention tonegative comments than to positive ones.• The brain that is exposed constantly tonegative feedback develops abnormalcircuits.• The frightened brain forces out reason.Therefore: Make your classroom a placewhere students feel valued, worthy,appreciated, and connected with peers whorespect them. “I am accepted, part of theclass, full of potential. I can succeed.”
5. Memory decays rapidly. New experiencesaffect existing memories.• To keep a memory intact,review and refresh it.• Use visual aids, graphics,songs, rhymes, andsimulations to refresh thememory.
Teach students to co-exist harmoniously.Invite them tocollaborate, listendeeply to how othersfeel, and contribute tothe well-being ofothers.6. The brain is a social organ. It demands that welive together harmoniously and cooperatively. Ourbiology demands positive relationships
7.Intelligencecan beraised orlowered. Itis notsingle, butmultiple. Itis not fixed,butmalleable,learnable.
New scientific claims• We all have these intelligences,they make us human, cognitivelyspeaking!• No two people , not even identicaltwins, have exactly the same profileof intelligences.• We are all unique andinterconnected with everythingaround us. The differences intheories between Newton, Einsteinand Darwin.
Three trust/facts1. Globalization, the easy move ofhuman beings, money, fashionand globalize thinking is a fact.The whole world in coming isnearby.2. The biological revolution, like thisknowledge about how brains areworking.3. The digital revolution, virtual,fast and virtual realities. Its all tobee seen on the screen!
The five Minds for the Future1. The disciplined mind2. The synthesizing mind, system thinking inschool systems3. The creating mind.4. The respectful mind5. Ethical mind
The disciplined mind• Working steady and improving yourself!Good is the enemy of excellent!• Develop your own passion, talk in theschool what is relevant, offer studentsthe change to discover the meaningbehind discipline.• Going for being an expert in what youwant to be/do, your profession. Youhave to work for it, discipline for thequality you aim for. Even a garbage manhas his quality and can aim fordiscipline!
The synthesizing of mind• Every two of three years the information we canget is doubled, especially which is coming fromthe internet.• Evaluate the information and give it a meaningfull place, make students disciplined to structurethis information.• The good , bad and meaning full synthesis of allinformation. What if students read less books anddon’t understand the meaning of what theinterconnection between information is?• System thinking in schools, the natural learningprocess.
• Going beyond the known-thinking outside the box. Creative encourage,right or wrong. If you can see the whole pathway in front of you, youare probably going the wrong way!• Good questions, new questions.• Creativity on individual- and team level!• Fostering creativity in the school instead of discipline. That is hard tobelieve, but new learning is connected with creativity of students indiscipline to them self!• The creating mind of a five year old kid is the highest level a humanbrain can reach!
The respectful mind• Diversity as a fact of live. At home , in schoolat your work! Don’t judge all the time thethings which are not according to yourmental model!• Emotional and interpersonal intelligence• Not just students- teachers- or parentsalone. It is about inter connection/ synthesisbetween these all!• Respect is not only a person you made thechoice for!
The ethical mind• What will/can I add to develop others.• What does it mean to be partner in thecommunity I am living in?• Teach students how they can add something tothe society we are all living in. Enlarge theirtime and place horizon.• Make learning sustainable and train people forthe tomorrow job! Awareness of that is for allteachers very important• The ethical person is worried about his or herresponsibilities.• The role of formal and informal learning indeveloping these five minds for the future!