Understanding the Ins and Outs of Programmatic for PPC
In this presentation, Founder and CEO of MightyHive Pete Kim will join Hanapin Account Manager Bryan Gaynor to tell you all about the importance of implementing programmatic advertising into your PPC strategy. From day-to-day operations to explaining its importance to your CMO, we’ll give you expert insights on the world of programmatic.
Understanding the Ins and Outs of Programmatic for PPC
Ins and Outs of
Programmatic for PPC
• Pete Kim
– Founder and CEO of MightyHive
• Bryan Gaynor
– Account Manager at Hanapin Marketing
– PPC Hero Blogger
Join the conversation
• Include the hashtag #thinkppc in your
Or use the webinar question box to send
Who is Hanapin?
– Run the world’s most popular PPC blog
– We manage and optimize global paid
search, paid social, and display programs.
– Within 12 months, brands can expect a
250% increase in their growth trajectory.
Who is MightyHive?
● We are a Programmatic Solutions Provider offering industry-leading technology
solutions alongside first class service, training & support
● MightyHive is DoubleClick's largest & fastest growing Certified Marketing Partner.
● Support DoubleClick Bid Manager, DoubleClick Campaign Manager, DoubleClick
Search and Google
Product & Dev
Reporting & Dashboarding
Programmatic Management Tools
Programmatic Full Stack
Publisher & Data Customization
Live Poll Question #1
How much experience do you
have with Programmatic?
A. Less than 1 year
B. 1-3 years
C. 3-5 years
D. 5+ years
What Is Programmatic, Anyway?
Service & Support Choices are As Important as Tech
Some Programmatic Options for PPC Buyers
What is Programmatic?
Programmatic is a methodology,
rather than any specific
Programmatic describes the shift in
online advertising from managing many
direct one-to-one relationships to
centralizing your online campaign
management using software.
Decisioning Inventory Creative Feedback
Programmatic is not just a buying practice,
it’s the foundation of the future
If you’ve seen an ad recently, odds are it’s because of
78% of US Display Spending will be programmatic by the end of the year
2014 2015 20172016
Source: eMarketer, Sept
$11.59 B $17.5 B $25.23 B $31.87 B
% of TOTAL DIGITAL DISPLAY SPENDING
PROGRAMMATIC DIGITAL DISPLAY
Source: eMarketer, Sept
Programmatic is ubiquitous, but challenges still exist
“With programmatic, we’re at the point where
adoption at among larger companies has been
so high, the natural thing becomes to move it
down to the smaller companies”
“Programmatic advertising offers mid-market
companies one of the best ways to level the playing
field with their big budget rivals”
The Five Steps to Programmatic Success: A Guide for the Mid-Market
Source: AdExchanger, “Programmatic for the masses?” October 2015, AdMedo, “The Five
Steps to Programmatic Success: A Guide for the Mid-Market, 2014
Programmatic evolved faster than service models could keep up
1995 20072005 2009
TECH: Black box and/or 3rd
PRICING: Variable often w/
Traditional service models trade support for transparency
Robust Service, Transparent Pricing, Ultimate Control
Service Tiers & Training
Get started on the right tier, get your team up to speed
quickly, and move to the tier that makes the most
sense long term.
Technology Fee: 15% of media spend
Set-Up Fees: $3k for 1-25 logins on
Self-Service: 7.5% of total spend
Support: 12% of total spend
Managed: 15% of total spend
(available for 3 mo commitments)
You're an expert! Platform-direct access to
DoubleClick with technical support, systems
integration, and training as needed.
Have a dedicated MightyHive Account Manager
train your team and provide strategic & technical
A dedicated MightyHive Account Manager sets up
your campaigns, manages them, optimizes, tests,
and provides reporting.
What does “Getting It Right” mean?
Are you fully
exist in your
- 1st & 3rd Party Activation
- Audience Center
- Affinity Targeting
- Look-a-like modeling
- Audience Analysis
- Performance Testing
- Data Transfer Files
- Unified Customer View Architecture
- Data Onboarding
- DMP & Publisher Integrations
- Data Transfer Integrations
- Prog. Guaranteed
- Private Marketplace
- Media Efficiency Audits
- Media Negotiation (PMP)
- Media Consolidation
- Viewability Management
- Pre-packaged Pub Deals
- Managed Media Quality
- Vendor Mgmt & Negotiation
- Analytics 360
- Tag Manager
- Attribution Reporting
- Data Studio
- Analytics Installation
- Tag Deployment
- Attribution Modeling
- DDA Deployment
- Offline Sales Integration
- Incrementality Testing
- Offline Sales Data
- External Integrations
- Sitewide Tag Deployment Consulting
- Creative Studio
- Google Web Designer
- Programmatic YouTube
- Rich Media Production
- Dynamic Feed Building
- Quality Assurance /Troubleshooting
- GMC Integration
- External Integrations & Feed Building
- Asset Sourcing (eCommerce, Autos etc.)
- Campaign Manager
- Bid Manager
- Trafficking Services
- Media Buying Services
- Light Perf. Optimization
- Incremental Vendor Testing
- Centralized Planning
- Malware/Fraud Detect
PPC buyers’ 1st programmatic encounter is remarketing
but the real value is much greater
Information gathering, shopping
Source: McKinsey, 2009
#thinkppcSource: McKinsey, 2009
PPC Buyers have options to leverage
Google’s content network, places ads in most
relevant places achieving performance
through targeting and attribution.
WHAT: Ad network w/in Google AdWords
INVENTORY: AdSense and DoubleClick Ad
Exchange (AdX) partner sites, Google
properties such as YouTube, Gmail, Maps,etc.
Enables advertisers, agencies and agency trading
desks to buy and optimize display media across
multiple ad exchanges and extensive 3rd party
WHAT: Standalone enterprise software with
transparent cost-plus pricing.
INVENTORY: All ad exchanges including AdX,
Right Media, AppNexus, OpenX, Rubicon,
➔ Exclusive access to text inventory.
➔ AdWords integration allows for unique features like Remarketing
Lists for Search Ads.
➔ Alternative bidding types: Cost-Per-Click, Cost-Per-Engagement
➔ Greater inventory access (2X+) than GDN.
➔ Greater pool of audiences to enable engagement with more
➔ Integration with data providers to allow for 3rd party data and 1st
party data (via DMP) targeting and attribution.
Each solution has its own distinct values
What is Programmatic
● Technology-assisted automation of the buying, selling and optimization of online ads.
● Real Time Bidding (RTB) - Buying and selling of online ad space through live auctions. These
auctions take place during the time in which a page loads.
● Private Marketplace (PMP) - Premium Sales Channel using RTB to facilitate direct buys
● Direct Guaranteed - Automated workflow and excecution for directly sold publisher inventory
What it looks like….basically
· DSPs, (Demand Side Platforms) are where your campaigns are created, managed and optimized. It is
the programmatic equivalent to the Adwords UI.
· DMPs (Data Management Platform) collects and analyze a vast amounts of user behavior and cookie
data. Marketers can segment and create new audiences to target based on their specific strategy and
goals of their campaigns.
· SSPs (Supply Side Platform). When an ad space goes into a programmatic option, the role of the
Supply Side Platform is to determine which ad is the right one to show to the user at that time. These
auctions are concluded within milliseconds.
· Publishers: Publishers are the site or app where ads are ultimately shown. Typically, publishers use
SSPs and exchanges to auction off their unsold inventory automatically.
Why Should I?
● The consumer journey has changed
● Programmatic technology allows advertisers deliver a unique experience at each stage in the consumer journey.
● Display is expected to outspend search by the end of 2017 with 72% of these ads being bought programmatically.
● Advertisers (and Competitors) are becoming aware. Searches around programmatic have increased over the past 5 years
A. Waive the setup fee for MightyHive commitments of
2 months or more
B. I’d like a copy of “26 Signs You Need a New Agency”
D. No Thanks!