Stalactite bracketing underneath the
balconies by which the projections are
supported and their weight transmitted
to the body of the structure. It is
represented by means of cluster of
miniature arches, or small alcoves, with
brackets in between.
Sultan Ghari’s Tomb
(considered as the first Muslim tomb built in India)
City of Tughlaqabad
Tomb of Ghiyasud-din Tughlaq
City of Jahanpanah
Tughlaqabad construction started on 1321 A.D. and was
completed in 1323 A.D. It is irregular half hexagon in shape.Walls
of the fort are built of massive blocks of stones. Bastions at the
corners of the fort.
Tughluqabad is divided into three parts;
1) the wider city area with houses built along a rectangular grid
between its gates
2) the citadel with a tower at its highest point known as BijaiMandal and the remains of several halls and a long underground
3) the adjacent palace area containing the royal residences. A long
underground passage below the tower still remains.
Tomb of Ghiyasuddin Tughlaq was situated in the midst of
an artificial lake fed by overflowing water by the river which
also acted as a natural tool for defense. It is surrounded by a
pentagonal outwork and is connected to the fortress
through a causeway. The walls are inclined to an angle of
around 75 deg. ( a slope of 2.33p per email@example.com high).
This is a pendant fort to the Tughlaqabad built by Mohammad bin Tughlaq who called himself “Adil” meaning “just” . The
citadel is built on an elevated position. Main gateway is also the entrance to the citadel. It was connected to the Tughlaqabad
Fort through a waterway. In the citadel of this fort was the famous palace of Hazar Sathun or the palace of thousand pillars.
The pillars were of marble or wood.
Muhammad bin Tughlaq enclosed the
whole of the are lying between Qila
Rai Pithora and Siri and formed a new
city called Jahanpanah not to protect
it from other invaders but just to
perpetuate his name as the founder
of a new city.
There were 13 gates to the city.Was
spcially designed for reigning sultan
for his intention to connect all 4 cities
but sadlt he abandoned its
Satpula: A water reservoir
Bijai Mandal: Used as a tower
and a royal stand on gala
Daulatabad is a 14th century fort city in Maharashtra, India, about 16 kilometers northwest of Aurangabad. The place, was once
as known as Deogiri.
Starting 1327, it famously remained the capital of Tughlaq dynasty, under Muhammad bin Tughluq (r. 1325-1351), who also
changed its name, and forcibily moved the entire population of Delhi here, for two years, before it was abandoned due to lack of
The city was founded in 1400 by Firuz Shah Tughlaq. The site is located on the banks of the Yamuna riverand consists of massive fortification
walls which enclose the city on three sides. There are several buildings still standing within the city, the most impressive being the Jami Masjid
which includes a huge rectangular courtyard entered via a domed gateway. Next to the Jami Masjid is the main palace area which comprises a
series of interconnecting courtyards enclosed within high walls. Other standing monuments include several vaulted chambers, bath houses and a
small mosque. The buildings are built in the local Sultanate style with flattened domes, bulbous finials and tapering bartered walls. There is also a
notable Central Asian influence in the layout and architecture of the city.
Firuz Shah Tughlaq’s tomb is in the middle of a madrasa he
commissioned, overlooking a tank of water known as Hauz Khas.
The tomb's plain style is faithful to the austerity of much of
Tughlaq building. The simple 15 foot square structure is built of
ashlar walls finished with lime plaster with arched entrances and
merlons along the parapet. Above the parapet rises an octagonal
drum, which supports a shallow and slightly pointed dome.