Register and control of Chemical Hazardous to Health
OSH (Use & Standard of Exposure of Chemicals Hazardous to Health)
o Chemical Register to be kept at the workplace
Inventory of Hazardous Chemicals
OSH (Classification, Labelling and Safety Data Sheet of Hazardous
Chemicals) Regulations 2013
o Chemical Information Management System (CIMS)
Prevention of Major Chemical Accident
OSH (Control of Major Industrial Hazards) Regulations 1996
Notification of Chemical Accident
OSH (Notification of accident, Dangerous Occurrence, Occupational
Poisoning and Disease) Regulations 2004
• On 8 August 2015 at 4.45 pm, Ammonia gas cylinder exploded at one of
the ice maker manufacturer in Sungai Besi, Kuala Lumpur .
• The incident happens when a worker was conducting the work of filling
the Ammonia gas from the gas cylinder to the receiver tank.
• It involves 7 cylinders ( 4 full cylinder was in reclining position , 3 empty
cylinders was in upright position)
• Most of these cylinders were older than 20 years old.
• A worker was killed by the explosion.
• Fully comply with the requirements contained in anhydrous
• To carry out periodic inspections and testing of gas cylinders
accordance with recognized codes or standards.
• Conducting a comprehensive maintenance schedule for
ammonia gas cylinders.
• Gas cylinders should be stored outdoors on the ground to
prevent corrosion. If extreme temperatures prevail, cylinders
should be stored and protected from the direct rays of the
• Ammonia gas cylinders should always be stored or arranged in
upright position and held firmly to prevent it from falling,
overturning and knocked over.
• Use appropriate cage and hand truck to lift or carry the
cylinders. Do not roll, drag, pull or slide the cylinders.
• Workers should be given proper training, written guidance and
information on safe procedure and method of handling
ammonia gas cylinders followed by close supervision by their
• Tank 1 which contains unleaded gasoline (ULG) was reported to be on fire at about 6.40
pm on Sunday. 2nd
day, At about 7.15 pm, the fire spread to Tank 2 (Naphta) which was
located beside Tank 1 due to heavy wind and ensuing flame.
• Initial investigation revealed that the fire started from Tank 1. DOSH's Forensic
Engineering teams observed that many parts inside tanks 5 and 7 sustained failures
especially the internal floating roof(IFR). Design failure of IFR is one of the focus of the
• A huge fire and explosion
involving two units of bulk storage
tanks took place on 17th August
2008 at a terminal located at the
south of Malaysia. The bulk
storage tanks are used for the
storage of petroleum products for
• Hazard identification, risk assessment and control (HIRARC) must be undertaken before any
maintenance job on bulk storage tank commences. HIRARC guidelines was published to provide
guidance to the industries.
• Thorough maintenance program for bulk storage tank at regular intervals be conducted to ensure
fire triangle is in control.
• Design of bulk storage tank must comply with international standard and latest engineering
• Design of fire protection system must be tested frequently to ensure that the system is functioning
• Sharing the facts of accident for the purpose of learning lesson in website - Safety Alerts
• Establishment of Forensic Engineering Division - conduct technical accident investigation
• Review on method of inspection by government inspector and owner of the workplace - prevention
• Roles of competent person, focus on significant risk - safety and health officer
Most of the of accidents were caused by
Ensure safety working procedures and measures
are in place and must be proactive and vigilant
to avoid the re-occurrence of the incident.
HAMIDI BIN SAIDIN MALAYSIAHAMIDI BIN SAIDIN MALAYSIA