APPSTORES AND THEIR
Presentation at MEX, 19th of May 2009
WHO AM I?
• Co-Founded TAT in 2002
• TAT licenses UI software and
does “inspirational” design
• More than 300 million devices,
~10% of all devices 2008
• 140 people in Sweden, US, and
HOW COULD APP
STORES BE BETTER?
• Well, alot of things could be improved...
• Using context - location, time, ...
• Discovery - order, retail, ...
• Social - recommendation, discussion, ...
• Lessüber-controlled by one player would improve a lot
• Local app stores (the MEX-store?)
• More transparency and less “Apple thinks...”
LET’S LOOK AT HOW
WE FIND APPS
• Divideinto Premium ($4.99+), Standard ($0-4.99), Free
• What’s hot - derivatives not “Apple selected”
• Measure value, not just volume - price * volume
• Sort on ratings, not volume
• Add 25% with few ratings to improve discovery of new
BREAK OUT OF
THE APP STORE!
• Store- why not friend 2 friend sales?
• Content - a better main menu? or device design?
• Discovery - p2p, recommenations?
• Purchase process - testing before you buy it?
• Inthe rearview mirror we will see AppStores as just the start
of advanced personalization!
when 1995 2005 2007
what txt & talk media internet
uses 5 30 inf.
p13n sms + videos + bookmarks
DID YOU JUST SAY WE
SHOULD DESIGN A
DEVICE WITH INFINITE
NUMBER OF USES?
GREAT WITH A
DYNAMIC DEVICE THAT
DIDN’T KNOW WHAT IS WAS
GOING TO BE USED FOR?
DON’T GET ME WRONG - APPLE DID A GREAT JOB, WE ARE JUST NOT DONE...
WE HAVE TO MAKE
THE UI MORE DYNAMIC!
DYNAMIC UI LEGACY UI
• alive • ﬁxed
• ui anticipates your needs • unforgiving
• experienced based • task based
• dialogue • directing
• matching the real world • disconnected from real world
• The AppStore is the start of advanced personalization...
• ... and it can be improved.
• With just about inﬁnite number of unknown uses we need to
have a more dynamic UI...
• ... with more real life like qualities to make it easier to use.
hampus @ tat se