coaching acts as a catalyst for
questioning and challenging the
strategies, beliefs and choices a person
is making in all areas of their life.
• Where we are - present reality
• Where we want to be - desired state & goal
• Strategies to get there - tools & resources
• Transformation along the way - personal change
• Celebration of successes - energy of victory
• Where else do we want to be - new desired state & goal
be the state you want
• Choose responsibility
• Be proactive
• Serve your client and their goal
• Consider - what would serve my client right now?
• Don’t buy into your clients limitations
• Behavioural ﬂexibility controls the conversation
being the accountability
• We are REQUIRED to be the accountability that’s needed!
• Assist your client to SEE; HEAR; FEEL the results of their beliefs & behaviour
• The Map is NOT the Territory!
• Moving your client from EFFECT to CAUSE
• CURIOSITY is essential
• Do not accept your client’s LIMITATIONS
• Invite your client to see what information they are FILTERING out
• How do you know it’s time to.... [avoid; procrastinate; do anger]
• What happens just before you.... [avoid; procrastinate; do anger]
• What are you tolerating by continuing to.... [avoid; procrastinate; do anger]
• In what way are these beliefs & behaviours serving you?
• If you choose not to create the change what will/what won’t happen?
• What is the most effective way to hold you accountable to this? What else?
• I’m curious to know what you would need from me to step it up a level our
• Limiting beliefs & Obstacle recognition - “What would most prevent you
• New strategies - “How could this be a gift to you?”
• Chunking - Organizing or breaking down some experience into bigger or
• Chunking up involves moving to a larger, more abstract level of information.
• Chunking down involves moving to a more speciﬁc and concrete level of
• Chunking laterally involves ﬁnding other examples at the same level of
For what purpose....?
What is the intention of....?
What is the positive intention of....?
What is another example of this?
What are examples of this?
chunking creates movement
• What if you did know? What else? What else? What else?
• Can you act “as if” you knew....
• If you were Coaching you what would you tell yourself?
• How is this a gift to you?
• What are the possibilities being presented right now?
• How can we turn this around?
• What’s one thing you could do that would make an immediate difference?
• Avoid these questions.... • Utilise these questions
• Why/Why not? • I’m curious/wonder/acknowledge
• Did you... • For what purpose....
• Can you....? • You are and so much more....
• Are you going to? • If you could what would you do?
• Am I right? • If it was effortless?
possibility & focus questions
• What if you knew.... • How are you hiding/running/
procrastinating right now?
• What would you do if you couldn’t
fail? • What would get you to move from
• What outcome will that give you?
• What would need to get unstuck?
• How is that belief serving you?
• If you could see 3 months down the
track what would you choose?
• How’s that working for you?
• In what ways are you limiting
yourself right now?
necessity & kaizen questions
• What must you do for this to be • How could you do/see this
different (not should) differently?
• What must you start/stop/continue • If you were to stretch yourself right
to move forward on this? now what would that look like?
• What do you need to do? • Describe yourself when this is no
longer a challenge to you?
• What is one thing/one more thing
you could do? • Is this something you would like to
• What is the next best step for you
effortless transformation questions
• How can we turn this around? • How about we play full out and see
where it takes us?
• What would be the easiest/most fun
thing to do? • Who do you need to be to move
closer to the life you desire/
• What would motivate you to explore
this? • What do you need to do differently
to move close to your goal?
• How can this be even more
outstanding? • How can I support you?
• What would you need to believe to • How important is this to you?
make this possible/take the next
Tools that work
• Rapport - building trust with your client
• Calibration - tuning into Client's state
• Match & Mirror - adopting body posture, gestures & mannerisms
• Physiology of excellence - using body posture to communicate
• Language & Voice - tone, speed, choice of words
• Beliefs & Experience - ﬁnding common ground a a starting point
The GROW Model
• GOALS - What speciﬁcally would you like to explore? How will you know you
have achieved this goal? What evidence will there be?
• REALITY - What is happening right now? What, who, when & how often?
What is the effect/result of that?
• OPTIONS - “What else could you do?” “What if this or that constraint were
removed? “What are the benefits and downsides of each option?” “What
factors will you use to weigh up the options?
• WAY FORWARD - “So what will you do now … and when? “What could stop
you moving forward?” “And how will you overcome it?” “Will this address your
goal?” “How likely is this option to succeed?” “What else will you do?”
The TRANSFORMATIONAL Model
• Elicit Focus - Where would you like to focus this Coaching call?
• Ask - “How is that a problem for you right now?” “How else?” “How else?”
• Future Pace - Go to a time in the future where this isn’t a problem for
you....what will you be seeing, hearing, feeling, what will make sense? What
evidence will there be that there is a change in this for you? What will you be
• Establish a way forward - What beliefs do you need to give up? use Pain V
Pleasure - what are you tolerating? What will you gain? Agreement Frame
- Is this something you want to change right now? Are you sure? Absolutely?
• Who do you need to BE - describe a new way of BEING. Then First Steps -
What three things can you DO right now to move towards this goal?
The PLEASURE v PAIN Model
• PAIN - What will happen if you don’t? What won’t happen if you don’t? What
is the cost of not taking action? What are you tolerating by staying where you
are? What is it about the situation that is holding you back? If you chose to
do nothing what would be the result? How close to your goal is this belief
getting you? How long will you stay at effect?
• PLEASURE - What are the beneﬁts of moving ahead? What would happen if
you felt the fear and did it anyway? Who will you be after this is no longer a
problem? What will you attract into your life? Can you see/hear/fell the life
you will be living after this old thing?
what is future pacing?
• Mentally rehearsing the future and accessing current skills & strengths
• Establishing new “ways of being” in the future, right now.
• You can show your client how to strengthen their resolve over a decision or
conﬁdence over a new skill
• You can identify potential obstacles and create conﬁdence in overcoming
• You solidify the choices your client has made
• Help your client practice how to access their new resources
future pace questions
• Go in your minds eye....see, hear, feel, listen to your self talk....
• One month/3 months/12 months into the future....
• See yourself with this new belief/these new skills/new....
• Notice what is going on, what has changed, what certainty, what conﬁdence
you have, its affect on others
• Go forward to a place where this obstacle/challenge might have otherwise
been a problem....notice how effortlessly you move past that old thing
• Go even farther into the future and notice (see, hear, feel) the new direction,
momentum, conﬁdence with which you are living....bring to present!