Lifestreaming: The New
Future of Blogging?
Lifestreaming: What is it?
• Lifestreaming is a continual broadcast of
events in a person's life through digital media.
• Lifestreaming is the act of aggregating
many streams, generally using a third party
service that then shows the content in
• People are feeling the “need” to
utilize all of these different sites but
there is no automation or system to it.
• Building a lifestream creates order in
the midst of real life chaos.
• Provides readers with a snapshot of
the blogger’s life providing a much
more in-depth look into what they are
doing, reading and listening to.
• Allows blogger to share things quickly,
easily and effectively with readers.
The Mobile Generation
• Incoming information needs to also be
portable, mobile and easily addable
to your lifestream.
• In this next diagram, an iPhone is being
used as the basis due to the sheer
number of apps.
• Once the information comes in to the blog,
you need to syndicate it out to the various
feeds / websites you belong to.
• This is known as notifying your tribes that
you’ve done a new action (also known as
enabling stalkers to keep tabs on you…)
Lifestream Style Plug-Ins for WP
• Lifestream - Pulls in data from many sources
and produces a grid-like image of your
• My TwitPic’s - Displays recently uploaded
pictures to TwitPic.com.
• Sociable - Automatically adds links to favorite
social bookmarking / networking sites.
• Tweetly Updater - Posts a notice to Twitter
when you update your blog.
Why Could This Be the
Future of Blogging?
• We’re sharing so much information
that we need systems / automation to
• People are finding amazing things
through the act of sharing - this allows
that to happen in a one to many
• We all have a choice as to how much we
• We all can make choices about our open life
• Choose something that fits for you and create
your tribes in an authentic way.
• We need to come up with a balanced
approach to this and ensure people
know that they can turn the volume up
or down to suit their life.
• By making people more transparent, do
we open up a positive outlook on lives
or do we open up negative possibilities?