Good Day! DRAW A LINE SEPARATING TODAY & YESTERDAY 1) Write: Date: 01/06/10 , Topic: Rise of Japanese Expansion 2) On the next line, write “ Opener #2 ” and then: 1) Plot your mood, reflect in 1 sent . 2) Respond to the opener by writing at least 2 sentences about : Your opinions/thoughts OR/AND Questions sparked by the clip OR/AND Summary of the clip OR/AND Other things going on in the news. Announcements: None Intro Music: Untitled
Agenda 1) Japanese Imperialism What you will be able to do: 1) Why did Japan become aggressive post WWI? Reminder 1) No HW
Review 1) Meiji Restoration (1868-1912) : Ppl ashamed of their weakness to the West, overthrow shogun and place emperor in power. (Emperor Mutsuhitito takes name of Meiji Emperor “Enlightened”) 2) Fokoku Kyohei : Emperor’s command for the country: “ Rich country, Strong Military ”
3) Meiji Reforms : a) Send Observers/Students : To all western countries to learn and copy b) Hire Western Experts : Goal of having them teach Japanese, then send experts away and have Japanese teach Japanese c) Copied German Gov + Constitution : Treat people equally, strong rule of law, but emperor in total control ( like the German Kaiser ) d) Modernized Economy : Set up mail, railroads, telegraphs, banks, schools/colleges ( esp. tech ) e) Gov Targeted Investments : Gov spent tax money to create biz in key areas, sell off later f) Modern Military : With strong economy, buy western weapons
4) Opening of Korea (1876) : Japan opens Korea the way Perry opened Japan 5) 1 st Sino-Japanese War (1894-95) : Fighting for influence of Korea, Japan wins Taiwan and Chinese ports near Taiwan ( accelerates fall of Qing Empire )
6) Russo-Japanese War (1904-05) : Fighting for influence of Korea, Japan wins Korea and parts of Manchuria, wipes out entire Russian fleet (1 st Asian nation to defeat European in modern times, accelerates fall of the czar )
7) Korean Protectorate (1910-1945) : Japan modernizes Kor. and forces Jap. culture on them. Some Kor. independence fighters move to U.S. 8) March First Movement (3/01/1919) : Failed non violent protest against Japanese rule, 7,000 die.
Notes #2a , Title: “ Japanese Militarism Notes ” 1) League of Nations: Club of nations to prevent war, no power (US Pres. Wilson’s idea, US won’t join) 2) Kellogg-Briand Pact (1925) : Major nations incld. Japan, Italy, Germany pledge never to invade other countries. (World celebrate lasting peace!)
Work #2a , “ US Senate v League of Nat Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: Wilson is correct, join the League of Nat 1) The League doesn’t have the power to force the US to fight if it doesn’t want to 2) To maintain world peace we need to look out for each other globally PRO: Senate is correct, reject the League of Nat 1) The US gov should decide when and where US forces fight, not some international organization 2) We need to focus on local problems, not world
Work #2b , Title “ Kellogg-Briand Pact ” Answer with your partner ( include their name ): 1) What powers does the League of Nation need to have to ensure the countries keep their promises to never invade another? 2) Should an international organization have the power you mention in 1) today to prevent war, would it work? Be ready to present.
Notes #2b , Title: “ Japanese Militarism Notes ” 3) Taisho Democracy (1920s) : Jap. becomes democratic monarchy. Elected diet (legislature) holds power. 4) Political Corruption: Giant companies (zaibatsus) bought influence over politicians 5) Economic Conflict: Industrialization sparked labor conflict over wages ( Communism rises)
6) 1920s American Culture : US made $, lost few ppl in WWI, US culture dominated the world: jazz+swing music, sexualized lifestyle, more individuality 7) Mobo/Moga (Modern Boy/Modern Girl) : Young Japanese rebel against traditional culture + adopt Western ways. Conservatives argued Western idea weakening Jap. obedience . 8) National Crisis : a) 1923 : Tokyo Earthquake b) Increasing govt corruption + labor conflict c) 1929 : US/Global Great Depression
9) Ultranationalists : Rise to power with belief that strong gov (military gov) needed to restore national power + restore Jap. traditions . 10) Ultranationalist Methods: a) Assassinate political opposition b) Use schools to make ppl worship the new Emperor Hirohito (Emperor symbol for military) c) Limit political freedom d) Expand military + conquer land to Jap. ppl economically (wealth+glory)
Work #2c , Title “ Ultranationalism ” Read and then respond to these questions with a partner ( include their name at the end ): 1) Create a government plan to make U.S. ultranationalist ( means total love and loyalty to the country, individuals exist to obey and serve the country ) 2) Is ultranationalist ever better for a society than democracy? Explain. 3) With the recession, rising unemployment, government corruption, conflicts over declining traditional values, conflicts over immigration, DO you think that America could ever exchange democracy for ultranationalism? Explain. Be ready to present.
Notes #2c , Title: “ Japanese Militarism Notes ” 11) Manchuria Incident (1931) : Ultranationalist take over democracy, military fakes attack on Jap. railroad in Chinese Manchuria, Jap invades. 12) League of Nations Protest : League has no tools to punish. Jap. ignores and quits league .
13) Japan Invades China (1937) : Need for resources.
Work #2d , “ Japanese War Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: Do not invade. 1) We can trade for raw materials. 2) Because other nations do wrong, it doesn’t give us license to do the same 3) We are not helping Asians by invading them PRO: Invade China 1) We need raw materials and land for our people 2) If we don’t invade, the Westerners will continue to expand, we must increase Japan’s power. 3) It is our duty+destiny to civilize Asia
Work #2e , Title “ Japan Militarism ” 1) Copy Source Title: Empire of the Sun 2…) Discuss questions on the board with a partner. Summarize your discussion ( include their name at the end ). Remember participation points are deducted if off task. 5 Reading/Film Qs Come From These Work Sections