An Introduction to Intelligent Parking.
Intelligent Parking is a parking guidance system that advises the motorist of available
parking in multiple parking zones, allowing the motorist to make an informed decision on
where to park long before they reach each critical decision making point. Using effective
traffic and safety engineering, Intelligent Parking then effectively guides the motorists to
these open bays with minimum effort in as short as possible time. Intelligent Parking
makes the most of available parking spaces and increases the profitability of parking
Intelligent Parking also gives the client an effective tool to monitor, operate and maintain
the entire parking facility effectively and efficiently. Intelligent Parking also has the
possibility of an online reservation system for users to book parking at the facility.
Benefits of Implementing Intelligent Parking
1. Less congestion due to fewer vehicles driving around looking for parking.
2. Reduction in time and fuel spent by road user searching for parking.
3. Less queues as motorists will go to parking areas with the most available bays.
4. Better flow of traffic through the area.
5. Intelligent Parking results in higher revenues and profitability for parking facilities.
Intelligent Parking can operate using a variety of data sources for parking information,
• Integrated to an existing Parking Management System
• In/Out counter system using loops or other detector technologies.
• Individual bay counts using either indoor or outdoor bay count sensor.
Intelligent Parking Central Software
Intelligent Parking Central is a Windows based software platform which can run as a
stand alone system or in a client/ server architecture.
Intelligent Parking has a map based user interface which allows you to select views of
different parking areas and in the case of multi-story Parkades allows you to drill down to
the different levels of these Parkades.
Each view gives you an instant real time overview of the operational status of that
specific parking zone with regards to:
• Number of Open Bays
• Number of Occupied Bays
• Number of Reserved Bays
• Number of Disabled Bays
• Reserved Bays occupied past their reserved time
• Vehicles Parked in excess of XXX Days
• Faulty sensors
The User interface gives instant health status of all connected devices such as Zone
controllers, Sensors and Variable Message Signs.
All connected devices can be configured and controlled from this user interface.
Intelligent Parking has multiple user levels with password access and records a full audit
trail for all logged on operators.
Intelligent Parking has full report writing facilities.
These reports reflect the status and health of the system over time, and include the
following reports as standard:
• Communication Statistics Summary by Date By Device (this key performance
indicator indicates the overall health of the communication system)
• Communications Statistics By Date By Device
• Operator Activity by Date (an operator audit trail report)
• Current Operators
• Offline History By Device By Date
• Sensor Errors By Device By Date
These reports reflect the current and historical parking activity. Current reports can be
viewed and printed for violation enforcement. Historical reports can be used for trend
• Current Parking Utilization By Zone
• Parking Utilization Summary By Zone By Date
• Parking Utilization Detail By Zone By Date
• Current Overstay Violations By Zone
• Overstay Violation By Zone By Date
• Current Reservations By Zone
• Current Reservation Overstay Violation By Zone
Report of parking utilization for a level over 1 day
Report showing current parking utilization for multiple levels
Intelligent Parking has an interface to multiple NTCIP conformant signs such as
1. Variable Message Signs.
2. Parking Guidance Signs
3. Bay Count Signs.
This allows real-time parking and guidance information to be displayed to the motorist.
Red Light shows occupied Parking availability per level
Green Light shows occupied Zone board displays available bays
Sensors above parked vehicles showing the occupation
External VMS signs indicating the bays available in the parkades
External level indicators showing where available bays are
External Bay Sensor
The communications between the bay occupancy and the parking zone controller are
wireless. The sensors utilize wireless Zigbee protocol to communicate with the
controllers. The Bay count sensor has 5-10 year battery life. The sensor is a low cost unit
and easy to install as it has no wires. These units can be mounted in the curb or below the
This outdoor bay sensor can easily be connected to pay on foot systems to show the
occupancy of parking spaces. This can also warn the traffic officers when an overstay
violation occurs. Users can be directed to the next available bay by strategically placed
Variable Message Sings. They can also find where the available bays are online or via a
A second unit designed to be surface mount is busy being build. These units are perfect
for rooftop parking on buildings.
Wireless Sensors, This unit comes in black and white.
Wireless Sensor, Left Top - Batteries, Left Bottom – Wireless sensor, Right Enclosure