Flash Based Microworlds for
Profound ASD Learners
Aidan Lucey & Lipeng Li
There is a lack of toys, mulEmedia programs
and instrucEonal toolkits for individuals with
auEsm spectrum disorder (ASD).
• Create a moEvaEonal and funcEonal learning
tool speciﬁcally mindful of the characterisEcs
of ASD learners.
• Task‐based game‐like design that can be used
to promote appropriate play behaviors that
are simple enough so that parents can use
with their child at home while teachers can
use it at school to guide instrucEon, play
based therapy and assessment.
• 3 AssumpEons of the CogniEve Theory of
– Dual coding
– AcEve processing
– Limited capacity
• How do these relate to ASD learners?
• language diﬃculEes mean must lean more heavily on
visuals and incorporate less spoken or wriRen text
• remove unnecessary distracEons like
keyboard and mouse and employ a
• serious constraints to amount of informaEon that
can be processed