We've created an easy Power Point for anyone interested in Affiliate Marketing but doesn't quite understand the concept. Here you will learn different Affiliate Marketing terms and who the players are.
A Brief Overview of Affiliate Marketing for Newcomers
An Introduction to
What is Affiliate Marketing?
• “Pay for performance” marketing
• Similar to a referral program
• Affiliate Marketing provides individuals, groups
and organizations a way to generate revenue
by referring other people’s (merchants)
Image credit : www.amvsmlm.com
Who is Who?
• Advertiser or Merchant – sells products, they pay for advertising
after a sale results from an ad. Affiliate marketing is just another
type of advertising method.
• Affiliate or Publisher – provides advertising for merchants in
exchange for commissions on sales that are generated.
• Network – intermediary between merchants and affiliates; provides
technology, tracks sales and processes commissions for affiliate
• Visitor – Customers that come to your website
• Outsourced Program Manager (OPM) – Consultant or firm such as
Greg Hoffman Consulting that is in charge of an affiliate program on
behalf of a merchant. OPMs help merchants maximize sales
through the affiliate channel.
Types of Affiliate Marketing
• Pay per click
• Pay per performance
• Pay per sale
• Pay per lead
How to decide what to promote
• What types of products do you
want to promote? What
products will appeal to your
• What is the commission
percentage offered by the
• What is the conversion ratio?
Image Credit: www.smartpassiveincome.com
Types of Affiliate Sites
• Comparison – provides a list of prices from retailers from
whom users can buy
• Coupon – provide the customer with a reduced cost or
free shipping, sometimes a specific dollar or percentage
• Blog – uniquely serves a targeted and usually loyal
• Shopping Directory – web directory style website that
focuses on sites that sell products or services.
• Datafeed – Displaying merchant products on your own
site so customers can click through to buy
• Sign up for a network. It is free.
• Apply to merchant programs that you would like
• Once you are approved you will have access to
banners and other marketing materials to use to
promote the merchant.
• Start adding content to your website.Image Credit: www.taxaffiliateprogram.com