Video Games Marketing: Representations Across a Campaign
Please also see PowerPoint on media representation
Your task: by the end of this presentation and after completing
all tasks you should
• Have enough quality research information to write 1-3 paragraphs explaining if
and what common media representations (stereotypes) you found to exist in the
world of video game marketing campaigns.
• Have made good notes on how female characters in comparison to the male
characters are commonly represented in video gaming campaigns.
• Feel confident in explaining why media stereotypes exist. (A* approach- revise
the names of a minimum of 3 key theorist and their explanations why
common media representations/stereotypes exist )
Some GTA V Facts
- It had a budget of $115 million (comparable to the film
- Uncharted 3 only cost $25 million
- It’s marketing budget was $150 million!
- But it already had 3.5 million preorders before it was released
so they could afford to spend that much.
- It was the first game to make over $1 Billion (easily)
- Rockstar games have just been given a lifetime BAFTA award
What do we mean by representation?
The way an image has been constructed and the
connotations it carries.
These are reinforced through repetition (ie things we have
seen many times before)
What stereotypes are there? What does this tell us?
Make notes on how characters are represented
throughout the game’s marketing.
Specifically look at any female characters in comparison to
the male ones. (Look at the 3 character trailers)
Think about why they have been represented in this way.
Write up your notes in your books.