President Franklin D. Roosevelt
•We often do not really hear what is said.
•Just having the ability to hear doesn't guarantee
an accurate reception of a message. Jesus said,
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
(Luke 8:8 NIV)
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard
through the word of Christ. [Romans 10:17]
Biblically speaking, “faith comes from hearing.” There is something special about
hearing the Word of God and hearing the message of salvation through/in Jesus Christ.
Yet somehow odd and interesting ideas have developed around the basic dynamics of
how faith comes to an individual. Some actually have merit, but fall short.
For instance, how many times have you said or heard, “seeing is believing?” Americans
tend to believe a picture or video. What we see is “evidence” in our mind to the truth.
But faith is beyond what can be seen.
The Bible says: “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do
not see.” [Hebrews 11:1]
What can confuse us is the roll seeing plays in our faith experience. For instance, seeing
is “proof” but it is not faith. In other words, it supplements and confirms but, seeing is not
what we can depend on for faith.
• Listening describes an intentional activity. When you are listening, you
are actively trying to hear something.
• In contrast, hearing is something that happens without any intentional
effort. You can hear something even when you don't want to hear it and
don't try to hear it.
• The sentences below contain both listen and hear and show the
• I listened outside the door, but I couldn't hear what they were saying
inside. [Note that even if you listen, you don't always hear what you are
trying to hear.]
• His story was so long and boring that I stopped listening, until suddenly I
heard my name. [Note that even if you are not listening, you might hear
• Listening is more complex than merely hearing. It is a process that consists of four
stages: sensing and attending, understanding and interpreting, remembering, and
responding . . .. The stages occur in sequence but we are generally unaware of them."
(Sheila Steinberg, An Introduction to Communication Studies. Juta and Company Ltd.,
• "The reason why we have two ears and only one mouth is that we may listen the more
and talk the less."
(Zeno of Citium)
• Elements and Levels of Listening
"There are four elements of good listening:
• attention--the focused perception of both visual and verbal stimuli
• hearing--the physiological act of 'opening the gates to your ears'
• understanding--assigning meaning to the messages received
• remembering--the storing of meaningful information
L – Let God speak
• Mazmur 85: 8
Aku mau mendengar apa
yang hendak difirmankan
Allah, Tuhan. Bukankah Ia
hendak berbicara tentang
damai kepada umat-Nya
dan kepada orang-orang
yang dikasihi-Nya supaya
jangan mereka kembali
S – Stay focused in and to the Word
• Ibrani 12 : 2
“Marilah kita melakukannya dengan mata yang
tertuju kepada Yesus, yang memimpin kita
dalam iman kita itu kepada kesempurnaan,
yang dengan mengabaikan kehinaan tekun
memikul salib ganti sukacita yang disediakan
bagi Dia, yang sekarang duduk di sebelah
kanan takhta Allah.”
• Kita harus fokus kepada Firman Tuhan.
• Ibrani 4 : 12
“ Sebab firman Allah hidup dan kuat dan lebih tajam dari
pedang bermata dua mana pun;… “
• Firman Tuhan HIDUP dan BERKUASA.
• Kita harus memenuhkan diri kita dengan Firman Tuhan
untuk kesembuhan dan kejayaan.
Matius 4 : 4
Tetapi Yesus menjawab :
“Ada tertulis: Manusia hidup
bukan dari roti saja, tetapi
dari setiap firman yang
keluar dari mulut Allah.”
T – Tell ALL about His Love
If you have found the greatest of anything, I’m sure you would let someone know. If you’ve
found something that would help someone else, I’m sure you would help them. Why not let
them in on the best kept secret of any generation? Don’t keep the good news of Jesus to
•L – LET GOD SPEAK
•I – INTERFERE NOT WITH HIS PLANS
•S - STAY FOCUSED IN THE WORD
•T - TELL ALL ABOUT HIS LOVE
•E - EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, EVERYTIME
•N - NOW IS THE TIME
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO LISTEN?
• If I listen to God, I will know God’s heart.
• If you listen to God, You will know God’s heart as well.
• If we let people to listen what we have listened, it will cause a
• God’s love will impact the whole world.
• Challenge : to open not just our Physical Ears, but our Spiritual
ears should be opened widely.
Have you ever given yourself a
chance to listen to God’s voice?