Group Collaboration Tools
A group collaboration tool is a tool that a group can use to compose a project
that can be accessed by anyone in the group.
Our goal was to find the most effective and user friendly group collaboration
tool or set of tools to complete this and future group projects.
What we wanted:
● User Friendly
● No lengthy sign up process
● Easy for everyone to access/make changes to
● Usable on our own time - no required meeting time
● Video Conferencing
● Cloud Storage with Google Drive
● Integration with Google Docs and Google Calendar
● Mobile App Available for iPad and iPhone
● Social network-like features for adding updates, chat features, and e-mail notifications.
● No software needed and works with any Web Browser or mobile device
● File Sharing
● Task Management includes Task Lists Templates and Time Tracking
● Calendar and GANTT Diagram (GANTT is used to see a visual image of the progress of a
● Up to 5 people and projects free
● Need to upgrade to PRO version for full features like group chat, Drop Box, and workload view
● Need Zoom to enable video Conferencing
● Can’t add more than one team member to a task
Overview: Google docs is a built in application on google. Google docs stores all documents online for
accessibility anywhere with internet. It allows groups and companies to work on the same project and
view changes in real time.
● Auto Save - google docs continuously saves your documents as you make changes faster than
you can click FILE, SAVE. Therefore, no more lost files! It also preserves the history and allows
users to easily revise work.
● Accessibility - Since the tool is built into google, you can access all your documents anywhere
with internet as easily as you access your email. Saving storage space on your computer, and
easily can print anywhere.
● Collaboration - Since all files are stored on the internet, multiple group members can access and
make changes to the same file without having to communicate and micromanagement.
● Accessibility - As easily as you can access your files online, there may be times when you don't
have internet access.
● Responsibility - Whoever creates the document can control who has access to changes as well
as who can make those changes. Therefore, it is not a completely open document for certain
● Basic - Powerpoints and spreadsheet templates are very basic, and can cause some technical
● convenient - we are all already using it
● information about projects is very close at hand
● can submit work through same site
● no chat options
● can not collaborate on the actual creation of slideshows/documents
● not very user-friendly
● can communicate with text, photos, and video
● can send messages to people even if they’re offline
● intuitive and user-friendly
● available for computers and mobile devices
● requires Google+ account
● no single-click conferencing like Skype offers
● frequent app crashes
● video calls cut out
● Their applications are designed for business, productivity, and
● Free collaboration services include online chat, creating and storing
documents, secure online meetings, and a social network for companies to
● Applications can be accessed through a computer and smartphone.
● Not all applications are free
● When uploading an Excel spreadsheet and Powerpoint slideshow,
customization can be limited
● The free account only gives you 1GB of storage
The Winner is…
The majority of our group members chose Google Docs because of its
accessibility and easy navigation. Most of our group members are familiar with
Google Docs and can use it to contribute to the project.
● College of Agricultural Sciences Penn State. “Teambox: A collaborative Web Application with many uses.”
Agsci.psu.edu. College of Agricultural Sciences Penn State. 27 July 2010. 8 Oct 2013. <agsci.psu.
● GetApp. “TeamBox.” Getapp.com. GetApp. 19 Apr 2013. 8 Oct 2013. <http://www.getapp.com/teambox-
● Hodge, Karl. “TeamBox Review.” Macworld.co.uk. IDG United Kingdom. 25 Apr 2012. 8 Oct 2013.
● Myers, Anthony. “Bring Dropbox, Google and Box together with Teambox.” Cmswire.com. Simple Media
Group, INC. 7 Aug 2012. Web. 8 Oct 2013. <http://www.cmswire.com/cms/social-business/bring-dropbox-