Introduction To Wearable Technology
‘Wearable Devices’ or ‘Wearables’ are clothing and
accessories incorporating computer and advanced
electronic technologies. The designs often incorporate
practical functions and features.
In simple words Wearables are the devices that can be
worn as accessories like watches, glasses, socks, etc.
EVOLUTION OF WEARABLES
OUR PAST OUR PRESENT
APPLICATION IN DIFFERENT FIELDS
FITNESS AND HEALTH CARE
The increasing adoption of wearable technology in monitoring fitness & healthcare
The fast evolving gadgets in Fitness, Wellness & Health care :
• Fitness and Heart Rate Monitor - benefits in training aerobically & understanding
• Fuel band – tracks & measures everyday movement
• Sleep Sensor - tracks your sleep
The popular segment that combines information and entertainment (Smart Watch and
Smartwatches: they have full mobile capabilities.
they have mobile OS, GPS, Applications, Camera, Bluetooth,
Some common Smartwatches are: Apple iWatch, LG G watch,
Samsung GearS, Moto360.
Smartglasses: brought technology to our vision. They are wearable computers with
optical head-mounted display or an internet connected Heads-Up
Display(HUD) which enables it to reflect projected images as well as to
Wearables are to become the next wave of hardware innovation
What users get?
• Good portability
• Hands-free use
• Always on for the task it is designed
• Quick accessibility
• Big brands already in, like - Fitbit or Nike+ Fuelband.
● Less Versatile
● Ambient noise
● Not as widely accepted
● A lot of wiring, at times
● Heat emission may cause irritation
● Side-effects (headaches)
● Data security threats - If the device is lost / stolen
Without a doubt, Wearable Technology is and will be the most
prevailing topic this year. As it is mentioned:
Getting smaller in size
1. Wearables will continue to reign in popularity
2. Even reaching to animals
3. Brave attempts at fashionable Bluetooth jewellery and clothing
4. Focusing needed on better designs for mass appeal
5. Future projections seems to be reaching to the highest level
6. Wearables will integrate more seamlessly into daily life
7. Adding more sensors will consolidate devices and broaden market