DRAW A LINE SEPARATING TODAY & YESTERDAY 1) Write: Date: 03/23/11 , Topic: Cold War 2) Next line, write “ Opener #38 ” and then: 1) Write 1 high + 1 low in last 24 hours 2) Rate your understanding of yesterday: lost < 1-5 > too easy (3 is perfect) 3) Respond to the Opening Clip by writing at least 1 sentences about : Your opinions/thoughts OR/AND Questions sparked by the clip OR/AND Summary of the clip OR/AND Announcements: None
Agenda 1) USSR Notes 2) Finish Threads Essential Question 1) Who took power after Stalin? Reminder 1) Test on Tuesday/Wednesday
Notes #37a , Title: “ USSR Notes ” 1) Nuclear Survival : Reduce exposure time a) Get indoors, air seal (radioactive dust blown from blast site) b) Don’t drink/eat anything exposed to dust c) Cover skin, wash off anything dust exposed d) If in a sealed area, wait a few (3) days before exiting (radiation falls exponentially)
1) Vladimir Lenin (1870-1924) : Leads Rus revolution 2) Joseph Stalin (1879-1953) : Ambition CPSU leader, outmaneuvers (later kills) Trotsky after Lenin a) Power hungry, ruthless, paranoid leader
Notes #37a , Title: “ USSR Notes ” 2) Nikita Khrushchev (1953-1964) : Moderate leader led after Stalin’s death in 1953, tried to give ppl some freedom + wanted avoid WW3
3) Cuban Missile Crisis (1962) : Cuba ( Castro ) becomes communist in 1959, USSR places nukes in Cuba, missiles removed when US: a) US pledges not to invade Cuba b) US takes missiles out Turkey
4) Leonid Brezhnev (1964-1982) : Hardline leader limited freedoms, asserted right to order other com. countries ( USSR control weakening in 1980s )
5) Détente (1970s) : Warming relations with US (as USSR is weakening), warming ends w Afghanistan
6) Invasion of Afghanistan (1979–1989) : USSR failed attempt to invade Afghan weakens USSR’s power We will return to the fall of the USSR next month
Journ #38a , Title “ Nuclear War ” 1) Copy Source Title: Threads 2…) Discuss questions on the board with a partner. Summarize your discussion ( include their name at the end ). Remember participation points are deducted if off task. 5 Reading/Film Qs Come From These Work Sections
TEST PROCEDURES 1) Bubble 4 last digits of your student ID and write your name , period . 2) Remember to copy “ Title ” from the test on to your answer sheet . 3) Write your name on the test itself, but do not write anything else on it. BEST WISHES!
TEST DEBRIEF 1) Make sure your test and scantron have been turned in. No papers, pens, pencils may be out. 2) For security reasons, your test will be voided if any electronic devices or note taking is seen during the debrief. Thank you . QUESTIONS ABOUT THE TEST?