DRAW A LINE SEPARATING TODAY & YESTERDAY 1) Write: Date: 02/28/11 , Topic: Pre-Japanese Aggression 2) Next line, write “ Opener #25 ” and then: 1) Write 1 high + 1 low in last 24 hours 2) Rate your understanding of yesterday: lost < 1-5 > too easy (3 is perfect) 3) Respond to the Opening Clip by writing at least 1 sentences about : Your opinions/thoughts OR/AND Questions sparked by the clip OR/AND Summary of the clip OR/AND Announcements: None
Agenda 1) Japanese Imperialism What you will be able to do: 1) Why did Japan become aggressive post WWI? Reminder 1) No HW
BOOK SHELVES 1 5 4 6 28 STANDARD SETUP TV SIDE WHITE BOARD 25 2 19 26 3 29 22 27 30 PERIOD 1 WK/DATE: M T W T F FRONT OF CLASS: WHITE BOARD Projector ATTENDANCE: Circle = Absent Double Circle =Tardy 38 PARTICIPATION: / = Participation -- = Non-Participation Resolution Key: R=Reminder, Xmin, P=Parent Incident Key: U=Unsafe, D=Disrespectful, O=Off Task, T=Talking, N=Not Prepared, C=Careless, L=Late Resolution Key: A=Apology, F=Fixed, S=Served M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F M T W T F TODO: Class Participation 1-10 Point Weekly Grading Scale: 0-5: Off task or missing in class activities. 6: Coming to class prepared and following activity instructions. 7-10: Participating in class discussions and/or writing blog entries (2+ a week). 2 points are deducted for not being present for class activities or for being off task.
Workbook Setup: Draw a line between days. Use back and front of pages. Opener (graded) Write date , topic , opener # Then 3 sentences: based off the opener questions. Notes (not-graded) In-class notes go next. Notes online and in class binder. 60% of test from notes . Work Section (graded) Work sections correspond to the opener #, and then go in letter a-z order. Title: must be included in each work section. 20-40% of test from work sec. Surprise quizzes 100% based off notes and work sections.
Review 1) Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) : Dictatorial rule of an emperor/ress , China felt superior to other nations, needed nothing foreign (Empress Ci Xi (Dowager)> Emperor Guang Xu > Ci Xi again > Emperor Puyi)
Review 2) Trade Imbalance : Nation buys more, but sells less a) Europe bought: Chinese teas, porcelain, silk b) China bought: nothing , so accumulated Eur. silver 3) Opium Trade : EIC discovered China would buy British (India-grown) opium , China bleeds silver
Review 4) Opium Wars (1839) : China attempts to stop opium trade, Britain goes to war to defend free trade 5) Unequal Treaty/Treaty of Nanjing (1842) : a) China must open ports b) Foreigners need only obey for. laws , not China’s c) British gain Hong Kong 2 nd Opium Wars, rest of Eur.+US get a-b (later Japan)
Review 6) Taiping Rebellion (1850-1864) : Hong Xiuquan , thought he was Jesus’s brother, rallied poor in failed revolt, 20 mil die, China weakened more.
7) Sino-Japanese War (1894) : Newly industrialize Japan defeats China , take Taiwan
8) Hundred Days of Reform (1898) : Emperor Guang Xu encourages reformers , Ci Xi arrest her nephew, and conservatives back in control a) Reformers : Wanted China to “ self strengthen ,” they developed Eur. factories, Eur. weapons, translated Eur. technical books b) Conservatives : Closest advisors to the Ci Xi argued western ideas/tech pollute Chinese culture
9) Boxer Rebellion (1899) : Desperate anti-foreign feelings and increased nationalism leads war to expel foreigners and their technology . 1) Killed foreigners and all Chinese who had any connection of foreign culture. 2) Burned foreign merchandise 3) Destroyed schools and churches 4) Demolished railroad tracks 5) Cut down telegraph lines Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists
10) Open Door Policy (1899) : US not prepared to fight for a piece of China argued China should be open to all trade + foreigners.
Map of Shanghai and parts controlled by foreigners.
11) Wuchang Revolution (10/10/1911) : Military officers and foreign educated Chinese bring back Eur. enlightenment ideas, and overthrow emperor. 12) Sun Yat Sen (1866-1925) : Foreign educated reformer becomes president of southern China , northern China controlled by warlords. 13) Sun’s 3 Principles of the Ppl : a) Chinese nationalism b) End foreign domination c) Strengthen Chinese economy (factories and redistribute land) Soong Sisters
Notes #25a , Title: “ Japanese Militarism Notes ” 1) Chinese Nationalist Party: Kuomintang/KMT (1912) : Sun’s attempt to create a party to unify China, gets help from Russia. Communist were active members. 2) Chiang Kai Shek (1887-1975) : Takes over KMT after Sun, attempts to unify China and purge communist. 3) Chinese Communist Party/CCP (1921) : Soviets help found communist party, unique in based on farmer support. Break from KMT in 1927 4) Northern Exhibition (1926–1927) : Chiang conquers warlords in north.
Notes #1a , Title: “ Japanese Militarism Notes ” 5) Chinese Century of Shame : G.O.P.A.I. G) Government weak under Qing Dynasty O) Opium trade P) Payments to Europe for war losses: indemnity A) Arrogance regarding reform I) Internal fighting before and after the revolution
5) Chinese Civil War, Part 1 (1927-1936): Chiang Kai-shek fights to purge KMT nationalist of CCP communists , weakening China. (China’s founder Sun welcome communist into KMT because Soviets give China aid)
Journ #25a , Title “ Japanese Aggression Video ” 1) Copy Source Title: Empire of the Rising Sun 2…) Discuss questions on the board with a partner. Summarize your discussion ( include their name at the end ). Remember participation points are deducted if off task. 5 Reading/Film Qs Come From These Work Sections Time Bookmark: 00:00