This slideshare is a presentation by Marsha Hudson, the social media coach. It gives the benefits of blogging for your company. The slideshare even gives you tips on getting started with blogging. Visit me at: www.marshalynnhudson.com
8 TIPS ON GROWING YOUR
BUSINESS WITH BLOGGING
“ A Simple and Easy Addition to Your Marketing Plan”
• Social Media Instructor and Coach
• Professional Photographer
• Professor of English at Wharton Jr. College- Sugarland.
• Give private workshops to companies/individuals
• Completing social media certification through
Hootsuite University & Silicon Valley Marketing.
• Blogger, writer, trainer and presenter.
• Love nature, reading, writing, walking, traveling and coffee
• Writing blog: www.marshaandhudsonwrites.com
• Social Media blog: www.marshahudsonsocialmedia.com
WHAT IS A BUSINESS BLOG?
A business blog is a marketing channel (just like
social media, direct mail, email marketing, etc.)
that helps support business growth. It does that
by driving traffic to your website and providing
opportunities for that traffic to convert prospects
Clients for your business.
IS BLOGGING SOMETHING ELSE
I HAVE TO ADD TO MY
ALREADY BUSY PLATE?
It does not have to be something extra. It is a tool to be
incorporated into your marketing plan.
THE BENEFITS OF BLOGGING
1. It helps to drive traffic to your website.
2. It helps convert that traffic into leads.
3. Connects people to your brand.
4. Increases your SEO rankings.
5. Attracts customers on a consistent basis.
6. Enhances marketing efforts.
7. Establishes you as an
8. Industry leader.
WHY SHOULD YOU BLOG?
LET’S LOOK AT STATS FOR 2016
• B2B marketers that use blogs receive 67% more
leads than those who do not.
• Marketers who have prioritized blogging are
13x more likely to enjoy more positive ROI than
those that do not.
• By 2020, customers will manage 85% of their
relationships without talking to a human.
• Companies who blog receive 97% more links to
TODAY! YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT
PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME!
• Blog - short for weblog. Collection of thoughts,
media, links, etc., shared with others online.
• Blogosphere - the entire network of blogs. It is
like a universe that is ongoing.
• Category - it is the list of topics you create on
your blog. It is like a table of contents for your
• Hosting - refers to the place where your blog
resides (for example like Host Gator or Blue
• Permalink - the specific link or URL for your blog.
It is the main page of your blog (for example:
• Platform - refers to your blogging software like:
WordPress, or Blogger).
• SEO - stands for Search Engine Optimization.
It is how your blog ranks when someone
searches for it.
• Theme - the blogs layout, face or appearance.
Some themes are free and some are for
FOUR SIMPLE WAYS TO GET
• 1. Decide on your purpose for blogging.
• 2. Decide on the platform you will use.
• Many people use Wordpress.
• 3. Decide on a theme for your blogging.
• 4. Get a hosting company. I use Hostgator.
LET’S LOOK AT SAMPLES OF
SOME BASIC BLOGS
www.marshahudsonwrites.com- writing blog.
www.marshaandersonphotographyblog.com- photo blog.
www.diymarketers.com- small business blog.
*In this type of blog you will be advertising creative
types of businesses.
*These creative topics can include topics on
crafting, computer programming, digital
photography as well as many others.
*In this type of business blog, you have the
opportunity to show various pictures, video clips, and
projects that you have been working on among
*This type of business blog is usually written by
two more contributors with a common interest.
*It is a great way for you to build an online
community with people that share your interests
* This type of blog can include such things like
weight loss, how to stay healthy, or even golf
topics among others.
*This blog focuses on a more narrow type of
industry and usually is made by industries that sell
their products to other businesses.
*It usually consists of a variety of different topics
including trade shows, new lines of product, and
materials among others.
* You will need to know a lot of information on
Usually consulting blogs are run by one person
offering their opinion, and advice on a certain
topic. This is a great way to develop an online
community in a topic that interests you.
EASY STEPS TO GETTING
STARTED OR TO REVAMPING
Step 1- Decide on a blogging platform.
• WordPress is the most widely used platform.
Step 2- Decide on a theme/layout.
*If you are just starting out—stay simple.
Step 3- Decide on categories.
3-4 categories may work best.
Step 4- Start blogging.
• Build your customer list
• Create a content library that makes your
company a thought leader
• Engage customers in open dialogue
• Get better organic rankings from the fresh
IDEAS FOR CONTENT FOR
YOUR BLOG POST
• * Give useful information
• * Make a list ( books, tools, resources)
• *How To Post
• *Problem/Solution Post- define a problem and
present the solution
• * Curated post (article, infographic, stats)
• * Review post ( review a product)
• * Inspiration post
• * Behind the Scenes Post
You can get many ideas for blog posts from
oConversations with Others
oSocial Media Sites
oConferences, lectures and presentations
At your leisure time!
• WordPress is your open media source. The
hosting company is where your blog lives.
• Two popular hosting companies are:
• These two work well with WordPress. They are
inexpensive ( $3-$5 dollars per month). They
have good customer support.
CHOOSE A HOSTING
• *Website- put a link there.
• *Email- let people know about your blog.
• *Newsletter- announce it on your monthly
newsletter. I use Constant Contact.
• Social Media Platforms.
• Speak and mention your blog.
• Put the URL on your business cards.
HOW TO DRIVE TRAFFIC TO
CONNECTING TO YOUR
SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
• You can add your social media sites to your
blog page in WordPress.
• You can add your blog page to your social
• You can use sidebars in your blog to connect to
social media site.
• How can you manage your blog with your busy
life? How can you schedule blog posts and still
have a life?
• 1. Pick a day for blogging
• 2. Develop a content calendar
• 3. Use an auto-scheduler like Buffer
• 4. Blog once a week or once a month.
• Write an E-book.
• Use affiliate marketing-See Google.
• Become a guest blogger on other sites.
• Sell your own products.
MAKING MONEY WITH
• Be creative with posts– put a twist on subjects.
• Add content on a regular basis
• Make your blog an interactive online
community by encouraging comments,
feedback and shares.
• Promote your blog in a multi-faceted way.
• Keep the look and design professional
BE A SUCCESSFUL
THANK YOU FOR WATCHING
• Follow me on:
• Facebook Twitter Linkedin
• Pinterest and Instagram
• Get free resources at