Brainstorm Root Causes
Understand How To Use Five Whys & Fishbone Diagram
• Should we focus on the Y or the
The Foundation of Lean Six Sigma
The Five Whys
• The practice of asking the question ‘Why?’
repeatedly, in order to work the casual chain
• Usually carried out by a group of people related to
• No special technique is required
What Are The Five Whys?
Beneﬁts Of The Five Whys:
• One of the simplest tools; easy to complete without
• Help identify the root cause of a problem
When is Five Whys Most Useful?
• When problems involve human factors or interactions
• In day-to-day business life
• A visual tool used to logically
organize possible causes for a
speciﬁc problem by graphically
displaying them in increasing
• Helps to identify possible root
causes and ensures common
understanding of causes
• Causes are arranged according
to their level of importance or
What Is A Fishbone Diagram?
Start Improving Today.
Get your free Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Training by visiting
Register For Your
Free Lean Six Sigma Training