Lean Six Sigma Operational Definitions - GoLeanSixSigma.com
Better Understand How To Create Operational Deﬁnitions
What Is Your Deﬁnition?
• System downtime
• On time arrival
• Late to a meeting
• Good managers
• Clear communication
• Cycle time
What Is An Operational Deﬁnition?
• A clear, understandable description of what’s to be
observed and measured, such that different people
taking or interpreting the data will do so consistently.
• Deﬁning a Defect: Any nonconformity in a product or
process; it is any event that does not meet the
performance standards of the project “Y.”
Common Areas To Deﬁne
• Cycle Time
• Assessing Attributes
• Measurement Scale and Method
How To Create Operational Deﬁnitions
• Have a few people write a draft
• Have others test the deﬁnition
• Develop a job aid to support the deﬁnition
• Have people not involved in the project test the
• Finalize the deﬁnition and provide training to the
people who will collect your data
Start Improving Today.
Get your free Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Training by visiting
Register For Your
Free Lean Six Sigma Training