Gaming Then and Gaming Now
By Aaron Chavarria
And Jesse Jimenez
History of the Consoles
• The first video games appeared in the 1950’s and were played
on massive computers.
• In 1972, the first game console was released, it was called the
Magnavox Odyssey which could be connected to the TV set.
• In 1975, the Atari came out with the popular game Pong,
which popularized video games.
• In 1983, the NES was released in Japan with the original game
Super Mario Bros., soon it became a global icon.
• In 1990 the SNES came out with better graphics and memory
with so many more games.
Third Gen. Gaming
• In 1985, the Famicom, aka the NES, was
released, it was the highest selling console in
North America. Known as the family gaming
console. Mario from Super Mario Bros. was
introduced on this console and became a
Fifth Gen. Gaming
• The fifth generation gaming consoles were the
Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation, and Nintendo
• During this generation Nintendo released
Donkey Kong Country, a very popular game
Sixth Gen. Gaming
• This generation of gaming really amped up the
gaming consoles to do much more than
• In this generation Sega’s Dreamcast, Sony’s
PlayStation, Nintendo’s GameCube, and
Microsoft’s Xbox were released.
• This generation introduced online gaming.
Seventh Gen. Gaming
• In this generation Microsoft released the Xbox
360, PlayStation released the PlayStation 3,
and Nintendo’s Wii.
• Some improvements were made during this
generation including, wireless controllers,
online gaming and new features such as BluRay Disc.