1st Semester Contemporary History Final Review
The final exam will begin on Wednesday, December 16
You must pick one question from each section to answer on the final. Make sure to provide SPECIFIC
EXAMPLES and evidence when you answer each question.
These questions will be graded using the following rubric:
Ideas and Content
5 points 3 points 1 point
- Clear, focused, - Clear and focused - No sense of purpose
interesting - Lacks insight - Dull, uninteresting to
- Insightful - Limited development reader
- Details relevant - Some random thoughts - Shallow development
- Writer in control - Originality not seen in - Very random
- Shows main points - Not original
Unit 1, Gilded Age
1) Business was changing during the Gilded Age.
- Compare the "Robber Barons“ or “Captains of Industry” to business people today.
- Were these people “Robber Barons” or "Captains of Industry" or would you call them something
2) Poverty was a part of life and the Gospel of Wealth and Social Darwinism tried to explain it.
- Do you believe that people's attitudes toward the poor have changed or remained the same? Why or
- Are these beliefs true in your opinion?
- Be sure to provide examples & be specific.
3) Bittersweet is the BIG IDEA for the Gilded Age.
- Why does the word Bittersweet fit the Gilded Age?
- If you could give the Gilded Age a theme other than Bittersweet, what would you call it?
- Be sure to provide examples and BE SPECIFIC.
4) People started to stand up for themselves during the Gilded Age.
- Can you predict the outcome if people didn’t start to stand up for themselves?
- Should labor unions play as big a part today as they did back then? Why or why not?
Unit 2, Progressive Era
1) Progressivism had four goals associated with it.
- Which of these goals was the most important?
- Do you see these goals today? How and where?
2) Muckraking was a new concept.
- Is muckraking a positive or a negative?
- How did muckraking change the world and how does it continue to change the world?
3) The Big Idea for the Progressive Era is Forward-Thinking.
- Why does forward-thinking fit the Progressive Era?
- If you could give the Progressive Era a big idea or theme other than Forward-Thinking, what would
you give it? Why?
Unit 3, Imperialism
1) Imperialism has always been a controversial topic.
- What makes it so controversial?
- Did events such as the Spanish-American War, Open-Door Policy and the Philippine Insurrection
help or hurt countries? Why?
2) The Roosevelt Corollary, Panama Canal and Spanish-American War were a few events that happened
during this time period.
- What would have resulted if some of these did not take place. Explain your answer by providing
3) The Big Idea for Imperialism is Greed.
- Why does greed fit the imperialism unit.
- If you could give this unit another big idea what would it be?
Unit 4, World War I
1) There were four main causes to World War I.
- Do you see any of those same factors that caused WWI today?
- Is another World War possible today?
2) The United States did not stay neutral and entered WWI.
- What is our role today as far as neutrality goes?
- Should we get involved in other country's problems? Why or why not?
3) The United States was changing during this period of time.
- How did the war change the home front?
- Does war always change the home front? Think about protests & propaganda.
4) WWI was a brutal war that caused many changes throughout the world.
- What is the "moral of the story" when it comes to WWI?
Unit 5, The Twenties
1) The 1920’s changed America forever.
- Do you see any of these changes today? How and where?
- Think about immigration, evolution, women’s rights, prohibition.
Unit 6, Great Depression
1) The 1920’s was a time when prosperity was everywhere. But in the 1930’s the economy took a
- Why did that occur?
- Could the Great Depression occur today? Why or why not?
2) The Great Depression had many effects.
- Do you see any of those same problems in today’s society?
- Where and How? Explain your answer.
3) The Dust Bowl was a horrendous event that cost farmers millions.
- How do you think the Dust Bowl affected the entire country?
- Could a similar event occur today? Why or why not?