Workshop given by Damian Manda (NOAA Office of Coast Survey) and Giuseppe Masetti (UNH Center for Coastal and Ocean Mapping/NOAA-UNH Joint Hydrographic Center) on March 18, 2019 at the US Hydro Conference in Biloxi, MS, USA.
12. A framework of
libraries and tools
for Ocean Mapping
Ease the transition
from research to
Ref.: G. Masetti, Wilson, M. J., Calder, B. R., Gallagher, B., and Zhang, C., “Research-driven Tools for Ocean Mappers”, Hydro Int., vol. 21, 5. GeoMares, 2017.
23. Sound Speed Manager
A ready-to-go and free
solution to ease
the management of
sound speed profiles
for ocean mapping
23Ref.: Masetti, G. et al., Sound SpeedManager: An open-source application to manage sound speed profiles, International Hydrographic Review, vol. 17, pp. 31-40, 2017.
A tool to evaluate
the effects of
on mapping surveys
39Ref.: Masetti,, G., Kelley, J., Johnson, P., and Beaudoin, J., A Ray-Tracing Uncertainty Estimation Tool for Ocean Mapping, IEEE Access. IEEE, pp. 1-9, 2017.
46. Tidal Constituent And Residual Interpolation
▪ Created in 1995 at the Coast Survey Development Lab
▪ Overcomes weaknesses in traditional tidal models
▪ Interpolates across the project area:
▫ Tidal constituents
▫ Residual water level, and
▫ Desired vertical datum.
48. Disadvantages of discrete zoning:
▪ Does not capture subtle changes in tides
▪ Does not capture meteorological, hydrological and
▪ Introduces steps at boundary polygons
▪ Polygons are drawn by hand
79. With Charlene…
▪ Automated data management
▪ Set-and-forget processing
▪ Single interface for user
▪ 40 page SOP encompassed in a few dropdown boxes
▪ Instruction/SOP can be done from a screenshot
▪ Preliminary segmentation from
co-located DEMs and
▪ Based on principles of:
▫ Topographic openness
▫ Pattern recognition
▫ Texture classification
102Ref.: G. Masetti, Mayer, L. A., and Ward, L. G., “A Bathymetry- and Reflectivity-Based Approach for Seafloor Segmentation”, Geosciences, vol. 8(1). MDPI, 2018.
110. A SHIFT IS REQUIRED FROM THE EXISTING CLOSED-SOURCE APPROACH
AN OPEN-SOURCE AND METADATA-RICH
NOT COMPETING WITH COMMERCIAL SOLUTIONS, BUT
A SET OF COMMUNITY-VETTED, REFERENCE ALGORITHMS
▪ TO FAMILIARIZE WITH KEY PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS
▪ TO TEACH PROGRAMMING HABITS AND SKILLS
▪ TO INTRODUCE THE EFFECTIVE USE OF THE EXTENSIVE
HELP AND ONLINE RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR PYTHON
▪ TO PROVIDE ENOUGH BASIC PYTHON SKILLS
NOT A FULL COURSE ON HOW TO PROGRAM IN PYTHON!
DEVELOPMENT & BETA TESTING
▪ AN INITIAL COLLECTION OF NOTEBOOKS:
▫ KEY CONCEPTS
▫ SUPPLEMENTARY INFO
▫ EXERCISES WITH SOLUTIONS
“I think these are a great place to start.”
“Very nicely done!”
“Nope this is pretty neat!”
“I really like how I can do this from home
without having to install any software.
“All the text is very readable and easy to