Venice: Brief Description <ul><li>Founded in the 5th century and spread over 118 small islands, Venice became a major maritime power in the 10th century. The whole city is an extraordinary architectural masterpiece. </li></ul>
Monuments of Venice Shamira, Andrea, Tommaso, Matteo, Claudio
<ul><li>The Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of Saint Mark (officially known in Italian as the Basilica Cattedrale Patriachale di San Marco and commonly known as Saint Mark's Basilica) is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice, northern Italy. It is the most famous of the city's churches and one of the best known examples of Byzantine architecture. It lies on Piazza San Marco (in the San Marco sestiere or district) adjacent and connected to the Doge's Palace. </li></ul>Saint Mark’s Basilica
<ul><li>Piazza San Marco (often known in English as Saint Mark's Square), is the principal square of Venice. In it is situated the most important monuments of Venice including: Doge’s Palace, Saint Mark’s Basilica, St Mark's Campanile, Clock tower and Marciana library. </li></ul>Saint Mark’s Square
<ul><li>The Bridge of Sighs (Italian: Ponte dei Sospiri) is a bridge in VeniceThe enclosed bridge is made of white limestone and has windows with stone bars. It passes over the Rio di Palazzo and connects the old prisons to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace. It was designed by Antoni Contino (whose uncle Antonio da Ponte had designed the Rialto Bridge), and built in 1602. </li></ul><ul><li>The view from the Bridge of Sighs was the last view of Venice that convicts saw before their imprisonment. The bridge name, given by Lord Byron in the 19th century, comes from the suggestion that prisoners would sigh at their final view of beautiful Venice out the window before being taken down to their cells. </li></ul><ul><li>In reality, the days of inquisitions and summary executions were over by the time the bridge was built and the cells under the palace roof were occupied mostly by small-time criminals. In addition, little could be seen from inside the Bridge due to the stone grills covering the windows. </li></ul>Bridge of Sighs
<ul><li>The Doge's Palace is a gothic palace in Venice. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice.The current palace was largely constructed from 1309 to 1324, designed perhaps by Filippo Calendario. </li></ul>Doge’s Palace
Church of Venice... Giorgia, Leila, Camilla, Nicole, Alessia
<ul><li>The Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of Saint Mark (officially known in Italian as the Basilica Cattedrale Patriachale di San Marco and commonly known as Saint Mark's Basilica) is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice, northern Italy. </li></ul><ul><li>It is the most famous of the city's churches and one of the best known examples of Byzantine architecture. It lies on Piazza San Marco (in the San Marco sestiere or district) adjacent and connected to the Doge's Palace. </li></ul><ul><li>Originally it was the "chapel" of the Venetian rulers, and not the city's cathedral. Since 1807 it has been the seat of the Patriarch of Venice, archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice. </li></ul><ul><li>For its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building was known by the nickname Chiesa d'Oro (Church of gold). </li></ul>
Santa Maria dei Miracoli <ul><li>Santa Maria dei Miracoli is a church in the sestiere of Cannaregio, in Venice, Italy. Also known as the "marble church", it is one of the best examples of the early Venetian Renaissance including colored marble, a false colonnade on the exterior walls (pilasters), and a semicircular pediment. The main altar is reached by a series of steps. The circular facade windows recall Donato Bramante's churches in Milan. </li></ul>
<ul><li>Built between 1481 and 1489 by Pietro Lombardo to house a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary. The plans for the church were expanded in 1484 to include the construction of a new convent for nuns of St. Clare to the east. </li></ul><ul><li>The convent was connected to the gallery of the church by an enclosed walkway that was later destroyed. </li></ul><ul><li>The interior is enclosed by a wide barrel vault, with a single nave. The nave is dominated by an ornamental marble stair rising between two pulpits, with statues by Tullio Lombardo, Alessandro Vittoria and Nicolò di Pietro. </li></ul><ul><li>The vaulted ceiling is divided into fifty coffers decorated with paintings of prophets, a work by Girolamo Pennacchi's contemporaries, Vincenzo dalle Destre and Lattanzio da Rimini. </li></ul>
San Zanipolo <ul><li>The Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, known in the Venetian dialect as San Zanipolo, is a church in Venice, northern Italy. One of the largest churches in the city, it has the status of a minor basilica. </li></ul><ul><li>After the 15th century the funeral services of all of Venice's doges were held here, and twenty-five doges are buried in the church. </li></ul>
The Basilica of St Mary of Health (Italian: Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute), commonly known simply as the Salute, is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica located in the Dorsoduro sestiere of the Italian city of Venice. It stands on a narrow finger of land between the Grand Canal and the Bacino di San Marco making the church visible when entering the Piazza San Marco from the water. The Salute is part of the parish of the Gesuati and is the most recent of the so-called Plague-churches. <ul><li>In 1630 Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city's deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health (or of Deliverance, Italian: Salute). </li></ul><ul><li>The church was designed in the then fashionable Palladian style by Baldassare Longhena, a pupil of the Venetian architect Andrea Palladio, and construction began in 1631. </li></ul><ul><li>Most of the objects of art housed in the church bear references to the Black Death. </li></ul>
Museum and exibitions Anna, Jessica, Gloria, Elena, Marta
Ca Pesaro This is Ca’ Pesaro, a beautiful venetian palace. It was built between 1600 and 1700 for will of Pesaro Family on Baldassarre Longhena’s project. Now it’s the seat of Oriental Art Museum and Contemporary Art Gallery.
Ca’ Rezzonico This is Ca’ Rezzonico, one of the most famous venetian palaces. It was built in 1649 on Baldassarre Longhena’s project for will of Bon Family, but in 1682 it was abandoned because of Bon’s financial difficulties and Longhena’s death. Now It’s the seat of Venetian ‘700 Museum, which keeps pictures by Canaletto, Tintoretto and Tiepolo too.
Correr Museum This is Correr Museum, built with Teodoro Correr’s donations, dead in 1830. As time goes by collections increased and in 1898 the exhibition was transferred in the original seat of Correr Palace.
Glass Museum This is Glass Museum, which has seat in Giustinian Palace in Murano. It opened in 1861 to tell the history and the evolution of glass art in the centuries. The palace was Torcello’s bishop’s old residence before Torcello’s diocese was cancelled (1805).
Fortuny Museum This is Fortuny Museum, a gothic palace near St. Mark. It was built at the end of century XV and was inhabited by Pesaro Family until XVIII, before moving in Ca’ Pesaro. Then it became the seat of Orfei’s Philharmonic Academy. In century XX was bought by Marià Fortuny I de Madrazo, which takes its name from. When he died, his wife gave the palace to Venice (1956). Now it’s a place devoted to work in branches of visual comunications.
Natural Science Museum This is Natural Science Museum, which has seat in Fontego dei Turchi Palace. The palace was built in the first half of XIII century for will of Giacomo Palmieri, founder of Pesaro Family. In 1381 was bought by Venice Republic, who gave it to Ferrara’s marquis Nicolò V d’Este. Then it belonged to Serenissima Republic of Venice, to Aldobrandini, Priuli and Pesaro families and, from 1621 to 1838, to Turkish dealers.
Ca’ Mocenigo This is Ca’ Mocenigo, seat of the Museum and the Study Centre of History of Fabric and Costume since 1985. The palace was inhabit by Mocenigo Family since 1700. In 1945 the last descendant of Mocenigo Family, Alvise Nicolò, gave it to Venice so that was used as Art Gallery, to supplement Correr Museum.
Academy Galleries These are Academy Galleries, a museum in Venice which gathers the best collection of Venetian art (above all paintings by Giorgione, Giovanni Bellini, Tiziano, Tintoretto and Vittore Carpaccio). They were founded in 1750 and they bought paintings for educational and repairing purposes. With the fall of the Serenissima Republic and the plundering of churches, schools and palaces, these institutions were very important because they saved lots of paintings from dispersal. In 1807 the Academy moved from Fonteghetto della Farina to St Mary of Charity church and convent.
Centanni House This is Centanni House, best known as Carlo Goldoni’s House. It was built for will of Rizzo Family and, in XVI century, it was bought by Centanni Family, who made it the seat of an artistic-literary Academy. In 1914 some Venetians scholars and noblemen bought the palace to make it an Italian Dramatic Arts Museum. The project was stopped because of the war and when, in 1931, the palace was given to the Commune of Venice, they made it Goldonian Museum and a Theatrical Study Centre.
Peggy Guggenheim’s Museum This is Peggy Guggenheim’s Museum, a little museum situated on Grand Canal in Venier dei Leoni Palace. It gathers particularly Peggy Guggenheim’s art collection and paintings by Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalì, René Magritte, Kandinsky, Bråncuşi, William Congdon, Pollock, Conrad Marca-Relli, Lucio Fontana, Afro Basaldella, Agostino Bonalumi ecc.
Historical Naval Museum This is Historical Naval Museum, situated in the Naval Dockyard. It was opened in 1923 together with the Technical Naval Museum in La Spezia. The museum gathers historical testimonies regarded navigation and in particular the Italian maritime history and the Venetian Navy. In 1964 the museum moved to the present building, a big five-storey building which once was one of the granaries of the Naval Dockyard.
Landmarks Barbara, Jenny, Federica, Giulia M., Giulia Z.
Piazza San Marco Piazza San Marco is probably the most famous place of Venice. From the medieval age it has always been treated as the centre of Venice. It was the location of all the important offices of the Venetian state, and has been the seat of the Archibishop since the 19th century.
Museo Correr This building was built between 1806-1814 during the Napoleonic era. The Museo Correr takes its name from Teodoro Correr (1750-1830), a passionate art collector who was a member of an old family of the Venetian aristocracy...
Ponte di Rialto Il Ponte di Rialto is considered as one of the main attraction of Venice. It is the oldest bridge across the Canal Grande. At the time of the development of Venice, there was no bridge between the two sides of Canal Grande. This was a big problem for the Establishment. To solve this problem, a pontoon bridge built in 1181 by Nicolò Barattieri...
Teatro La Fenice Teatro La Fenice appeared right from the start as the official theatre of the Venetian aristocracy. On 1st November 1789 a competition was announced to construct the Fenice Theatre. After long debate on nomination, Giannantonio Selva was selected to build the theatre. The theatre, with exemplary rapidity, was completed in April 1792.
Traditional events Mihaela, Consuelo, Giulia B, Roberta, Emy, Elisa.
Carnival Re-launched two decades ago, the CARNIVAL was immediately regarded both in Italy and abroad as an event not to be missed Venice Carnival is steeped in history, charm and tradition: its inhabitants and tourists alike have taken a keen interest in it, thanks to its mix of transgression, art, history and culture in one of the most unique cities in the world.
The Sensa Feast-day In previous centuries this holiday held an important role in the social and political life of Venice, which resulted in one of the most important and sumptuous celebrations, interweaving the legend, myth and history of the city. If, historically speaking, the SENSA is the result of an overlapping of civil and religious rites and events through the ages, today we prefer to give it the meaning of festivity of the Sea and therefore of a festivity of a city which draws its raison d'être from its relationship with the sea.
The Redentore Feast-day <ul><li>The REDENTORE is one of the Venetians' most treasured festivities, and is a tourist attraction thanks to the spectacular firework display in the evening. It falls on the third Sunday in July, when Holy Mass is held in the presence of the Patriarch, followed by a religious procession. But the special moment of the festivity takes place on Saturday night: with the unbeatable backdrop of Saint Mark's Basin, a play of lights and reflections produce a kaleidoscope of colours with the silhouetted spires, domes and bell towers of the city behind. </li></ul>
The weekend ends with a GONDOLA REGATTA <ul><li>The Historical Regatta </li></ul><ul><li> Even now the Rengatta Storica is one of the most spectacular, picturesque and moving events of Venetian life, capable of both charming the tourists and exciting the locals. A historical procession commemorates the welcome given to Caterina Cornaro, wife of the King of Cyprus, in 1489 after she renounced her throne in favour of Venice. It is a procession of 16th century style boats, with the famous Bucintoro, the boat representing the Serenissima, at its head. Then comes the competition. The spectators participate with gusto and shouts of encouragement during the sporting events. </li></ul>
The Feast-day of the Madonna della Salute <ul><li>The Feast-day of the Madonna della Salute is probably the least "touristy" of the Venetian festivities and evokes strong religious feelings among the city's inhabitants. The holiday is, like the Redentore, in memory of another bout of pestilence, which lasted for two years from 1630-31, and the subsequent vow by the Doge to obtain the intercession of the Virgin Mary. Even today, thousands of inhabitants visit the main altar of the imposing Salute Church on November 21 to give thanks, and a strong symbolic tie remains between the city and the Virgin Mary. </li></ul>
The Rowing Season (April - September) <ul><li>Every year from April to September in Venice and on the lagoon, there are more than 120 regattas, in addition to the famous Historical Regatta. Many of these races are spontaneous; eleven are promoted by the Municipality of Venice in collaboration with the Rowers' Associations and the Co-ordination of the Rowing Clubs with the aim of keeping alive a sporting practice which originates from the very nature of the city. </li></ul><ul><li>Many of these regattas coincide with traditional festivities and festivals where the race once represented an occasion of not only true popular but also institutional glory. </li></ul>