How many of your constituents thinkgovernment is good -and their tax dollars are well spent?
How many of you think government can solve the issues and problems of yourcommunity ON ITS OWN ?
How many of you think you have a betterchance of solving the issues working withbusiness, non-profits, faith community & citizen groups?
Public-PrivatePartnerships are not a luxury.They are a necessary reality.
INsideRanchoCity of Rancho Cucamonga, CA ICMA 2001 Best Practice Web-based GIS to Leverage Business Attraction & Site Selection
How important is an Economic Development Web Site?
• The importance of Web Marketing for Economic Development increased two-fold in 3 years (1996-1999) • The Web is predicted to have the largest growth of any economic development marketing tool • An Economic Development Web Site is more effective than direct mail, advertising & telemarketingSource: 1999 Development Councellors International Survey
How important is a Web Site for Business Attraction& Site-selection?
• 40% of all site-selection projects begin on the Internet• 84% of site-selectors access the Internet in the process• 85% of Expansion & Relocation Decisions are made without the help of a professional consultant
"If they cant find good informationon your web site - forget about it -youre eliminated. You have tohave a stand-alone web site andnot hide information hoping they(site selectors) will call youbecause they dont have the time." Dennis Donovan Senior Managing Partner of The Wadley-Donovan Group
Question: How does a Web GIS enhance economic development &business attraction?
Answer: It speeds up andsimplifies the processof business attraction & site-selectionthrough the web site.
By Answering 3 basic questions (and a lot of others) 1. Is there available Property? 2. Is there a market for my business to succeed? 3. What is the competition or synergy for my business at a specific site?
1. Is there available property for my business?• A new or expanding business needs either a vacant building or developable land in your community• Web GIS provides user-defined property searches in seconds
2. Is there a market for my business to succeed?• A new or expanding business needs to know if there are enough clients , shoppers or future quality employees for its business to succeed• Web GIS provides site-specific demographic and workforce data reports in seconds
3. What is the competition or synergy of locating my business atmay be potential• Nearby businesses a site? customers, suppliers or competition. A prospective business needs to know the opportunities of a business location• Web GIS provides site-specific business and industry reports in seconds
Example Competition/synergy Web Site Demonstration
Dynamic Map Features• Zoom In and Out of the Map• Move North, South, East & West• Turn “Layers” of Information on/off• View Land Use & Zoning• Get information from the map• And more
Awards & Recognition for Web GIS Economic Development• Council for Urban Economic Development (CUED)• American Economic Development Council (AEDC)• United States Department of Commerce - EDA• American Planning Association (APA)• Intl. City/County Management Assoc. (ICMA)• California Association for Local Economic Development (CALED)• California Redevelopment Association (CRA)• Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI)
Web ED Programs Featured in Media The Wall Street Journal NBC News Los Angeles Times Governing Magazine American City & County Magazine Government Technology MagazineEconomic Development Commentary
Who Ya Gonna Call?• For Auditing the Books? – An Accountant• For printing high-quality publications? – A printer• For providing dinner for a citizen committee? – Restaurant/Caterer• For Real Estate Information? – Real Estate Brokers & Property Owners
Is this Practical or Ethical?• Q: Why do you rob banks?• A: Because that’s where the money is.
Democratic• ICMA Code of Ethics Tenet 1• ALL Brokers & Property Owners can participate
Public Interest• ICMA Code of Ethics Tenet 4• Economic Development can assist all segments of the community
Social Responsibility & Equal Opportunity• ICMA Code of Ethics Tenet 2 & 11• Information is the currency of business• Unequal access leads to inequality in decision making• Web GIS gives equal access to all businesses
Summary• Public-Private Partnerships are needed• Increasing specialization & interdependence• Internet democratizes information & access• Reinventing of government services