What is an adaptation?
An adaptation is a way an animal's
body helps it live or survive in its
There are different kinds of adaptations:
- Physical adaptations
- Behavioral adaptations
Animals depend on their physical characteristics
to help them get food, keep warm, resist heat,
build their homes and attract mates.
These physical characteristics are called
Giraffes: very long necks
•Adaptation to feed at
high levels in the
•Also help them to keep
track of predators.
•communicate with other
giraffes over several
•Giraffes can run at very
They live in the cold arctic.
• How do they stay warm?
They have a layer of fat under it
skin which helps them stay warm.
They also have a thick layer of fur.
• Why is their fur white?
White fur helps them blend in with
the snow and ice.
• Why do polar bears have very
wide, large paws?
The wide, large paws help polar
bears to walk in the snow.
they can hide from
surprise their preys.
helps it spot food
Helps it catch its
How can they breathe
under the water?
Fish have gills which
help them get oxygen
Why do fish have fins?
To help them swim.
Scales protect the fish
• Is an animal's color or pattern that helps
it blend with the environment.
• This adaptation helps animals hide.
• Camouflage is used to help animals
attack their prey as well as defend
themselves from predators.
See if you can find the
animals in the pictures.
• It is important to remember that some animals
can only blend into one environment. Look at
this picture of the hare in the snow.
• Then look at the hare in the forest.
• Where is the hare more safe from predators?
In the snow or in the forest?
• Another part of camouflage involves tricky
• Is an adaptation in which an animal looks
very much like another animal or object.
• Smaller, weaker animals have to imitate
stronger animals to stay alive.
• If insects or other less powerful animals can
trick their predators into thinking they are a
different animal by the sounds they make, or
the colors on their body, they just might
survive a little longer.
Take a look at these two butterflies
It's hard to tell the difference isn't it?
• One is a Monarch and very yucky to eat. The
other is a Viceroy and very yummy. If an
animal eats a Monarch butterfly and HATES
it, it will stay away from ALL butterflies that
look like Monarchs. This helps the Viceroy
because many animals mistake it for a
Isn't this the scariest
caterpillar you've ever
• It might look like a snake, but is really only a
• Its defense is to look like a SNAKE! That isn't
a bad choice, because many animals are
very afraid of snakes.
Can you guess which snake is the MIMIC?
• One of the snakes in the pictures
is venomous and the other one is
• Coral snakes are very easy to see
because of their bright red, yellow,
and black stripes. They are
colored this way so that other
animals know they are dangerous
and will leave them alone.
• The Scarlet Kingsnake looks
almost EXACTLY like the Coral
snake, but it is perfectly harmless!