GET CLARITY TO IMPROVE CONTENT
Focus on the medium, the method and the message
TAKE OFF THE BLINDERS
Before you start creating content, take a moment to ask yourself and your team
a few simple questions:
‣ Why are you creating this piece of content or this campaign?
Identify a need, question, or trending topic in your marketplace.
‣ Who are you creating content for?
Target speciﬁc audiences based on your audience persona proﬁles.
‣ What’s the goal of the content?
Set measurable KPIs prior to any content initiative or marketing campaign.
There are a number of reasons for content assets to
perform poorly or to become viral. To understand
what works, and what doesn’t, look at the success or
failure of your content based on these three things:
PUT IT UNDER A MICROSCOPE
1 2 3
The MEDIUM is the type of content.
JUST TO BE CLEAR
Unique solution Pricing Feature
The MESSAGE is the idea you’re trying to communicate.
Beneﬁt New product Brand position
The METHOD is the way the content is distributed.
SO NOW, CREATE CONTENT THAT
Create your campaign and your messages and then try out some
content. Try a number of diﬀerent channels and types of content to
compare and contrast your results.
‣ Group all the same
types of content
‣ Group all assets for a
single campaign or
‣ Group all content
shared on a single
Begin by creating content groups:
SALES FUNNEL TUNNEL VISION
Eliminating the constraints of the sales funnel liberates the creation and delivery
of content. Conventional marketing wisdom can put too narrow of constraints on
deﬁning what types of assets belong in the traditional sales funnel model.
‣ The narrow focus of the sales funnel view is too limiting.
‣ Not everyone starts at the top of the funnel.
‣ A customer’s journey can begin anywhere.
Think of the sales funnel as a trail map with equal entry points
at diﬀerent places and all landing (hopefully) at your site.
THE CONTENT VISTA
No longer assume that diﬀerent methods and diﬀerent mediums have a set
place in the funnel. Use your content beyond “top of funnel” awareness. Don’t
be afraid to use diﬀerent mediums and a variety of methods to get out the
Send a case study to a cold lead
Create a video case study.
Use Infographics to explain diﬃcult product concepts.
Make an infographic to answer common customer support questions.
Use slide decks for customer support materials.
WATCH HOW THE MESSAGE, THE METHOD,
AND THE MEDIUM PERFORM
Your content is part of an ecosystem that works together and creates an
overall user experience. Avoid the temptation of simply eliminating under-
performing content assets or turning oﬀ certain channels.
To ﬁnd out what’s working:
‣ Measure everything to understand which combinations work best for
‣ Understand why something under-performed or over-performed.
‣ Don’t abandon a method because a message didn’t sell.
‣ Don’t change a good message because it was poorly executed on the
HINT: There is no better medium or method, just the one that works for you.
GUIDE THE WAY BACK
Don’t leave your audience hanging after engaging with your content. Guide
them back to your site or to more of your content.
‣ Embed the “get in touch” button on your slide shares.
‣ Embed YouTube videos into your own site.
‣ Publish Infographics on your website.
‣ Create interactive infographics so that viewers can pop into other content.
‣ Include a call to action in blog posts, and visual content.
‣ Create a resource center and include your content.
Use your results to inform future content creation, but don’t be too quick to
abandon assets that aren’t instantly viral or put all your eﬀorts into promoting
or creating more content around assets that get instant results.
Track results over time to discover:
‣ One time success vs. a medium that resonates with your audience.
‣ Messaging that engages over time vs. a ﬂeeting interest.
‣ A successful method to deliver your message vs. a message that resonates
on many mediums.
DON’T BE BLINDED BY INSTANT RESULTS
In the end, you’ll have the data you need to decide which messages and
methods to use to reach your audiences across all your mediums.
Create and record a strategy to craft and distribute your own creative and
relevant messages that will engage and convert.
HINT: Don’t forget to keep measuring each of your variables to monitor the
ebb and ﬂow of engagement for your content.
Need help getting your marketing intelligence into focus?
We’re here to give you clarity