SCHOOL No.13 SIBIU-ROMANIA
Travelling Teds' European
Discoveries- ( The T.E.D. Project)
Descoperirile Europene ale
Romanian Ambassadors in the world
Ambasadori ai Romaniei in lume
NADIACOMANECI is a world-class gymnast, winner of five Olympic gold
medals. It is considered to be one of the best athletes of the twentieth
century and one of the best gymnasts in the world, of all times, "Goddess of
Montreal," the first modern era gymnast who took 10 in an Olympic
competition. It is the first Romanian sportswoman included in the memorial
International Gymnastics Hall of Fame.
• Is a former professional tennis player and one of the leading tennis
players of the 1970s, the world number one twice, in 1972 and 1973.
• Among the 57 singles titles, which Ilie Nastase won over his career
include the U.S. Open in 1972 and 1973 Roland Garros respectively.
Winning the doubles tournament at Wimbledon in 1973, Roland Garros
in 1970 and the U.S. Open in 1975 he has also won four times Champions
Tour with Ion Tiriac and was finalist of the Davis Cup three times in
1969, 1971 and 1972.
• CONSTANTINBRANCUSI , was a Romanian sculptor with overwhelming
contributions to the renewal of plastic language and vision in the
• Born: February 19, 1876 ,Hobiţa, Romania
• Died: March 16, 1957, (81 years) Paris, France
• Major works:
• Kiss, Kiss Gate, Endless Column, Table of Silence, Prayer, Sleeping Muse,
Mademoiselle Pogany, The Magic Bird, Toward Child ...
• His work has profoundly influenced modern concept of form in
sculpture, painting and drawing.
• BRANCUSI – OPERE CELEBRE
• Brancusi - FAMOUS WORKS
• EMILRACOVITA was a scientist , explorer , caving and Romanian biologist ,
the founder of Biospeology (studying wildlife underground - underground
caves and water ) .
• • He participates as a naturalist of Belgian Antarctic Expedition (1897-
1899) aboard the Belgica . This expedition , which starts in Antwerp on 10
August 1897 had an international character , besides Belgians, the
Norwegian Roald Amundsen was also attended by the chief mate, the
American doctor Frederick Cook , the Polish meteorologist Antoine
Dobrowolski and the geologist Henryk Arctowski . The expedition scores
on the incomplete map of Antarctica the Wiencke Island and Danco 's
Land , named after two members of the expedition who died on this
• The Romanian scientist made a thorough study on the life of whales ,
penguins and some Antarctic birds , which earned a well deserved
• In 1920 , the Faculty of Science , University of Cluj , he founded the first
Institute of Biospeology in the world.
• EUGENIONESCU known abroad as Eugène Ionesco, according to the
French spelling , was a French writer born in Romania , the protagonist
of the theater of the absurd and a member of the French Academy .
• His first play, La Cantatrice Chauve ( "The Bald Soprano ") was
represented in May 11, 1950 at the Théâtre de la Huchette, the most
prominent of France. La Comédie Française, presented in 1966 , for the
first time , a play of Ionescu, “Thirst and Hunger” , and then “The King
dies” . The year 1970 brings to Ionesco an important recognition : his
election as a member of the French Academy , thereby becoming the
first writer of Romanian origin with such a high distinction .
• Born : November 26, 1909 , Slatina, Romania
• Died : March 28, 1994 , Paris, France
• Occupation : playwright , essayist
• Nationality : Romanian
• was historian of religion , fiction writer , philosopher and professor at
the University of Chicago. Romanian of origin but naturalized a U.S. citizen in
1966, he was honored with the title of Distinguished Service Professor. He is
author of 30 scientific books , literary and philosophical essays translated
into 18 languages and over 1200 articles and reviews in a variety of themes
very well documented.
• was a Romanian philosopher and writer settled in France, where he
lived until his death without requesting French citizenship. Several major
themes run across the work of Emil Cioran: human contingency, original
sin, the tragic sense of history, the end of civilization, the threat of evil,
the refusal strengthen faith, absolute obsession, life as expression of
man's metaphysical exile, etc.. Cioran was a thinker passionate about
history, he knows well from his wide reading, especially of the authors
and memorialists from the periods of decadence.
• Born: April 8, 1911,Rasinari, Sibiu, Romania
• Died: June 20, 1995, Paris, France
• Occupation: philosopher, writer
• Literary trends: modernism, expressionism
• Debut work: “On the edge of despair” 1934
• Nationality: Romanian
The T.E.D. PROJECT- COM-13-PM-1172-SB-IE- has been
funded with support from the European Commission.
This publication [communication] reflects the views only of
the author, School No.13 Sibiu, Romania, and the
Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which
may be made of the information contained therein.