Types of Information
RSS Can Bring to You
• News Headlines • Web 2.0
• News Search Results Blogs
– Blog Search Results
• Organizational News &
– Flickr Groups
• Clinical Guidelines
• Grant Opportunities – Youtube
• Journal Table of Contents – more …
• Web Searches
RSS Feed: Subscribing
• 1. Find a feed.
• 2. Find the RSS link .
• 3. Copy the URL or link.
• 4. Go to Google Reader.
• 5. Click on Add Subscription.
• 6. Paste in the link.
• 7. Organize the new feed into your folders or
• Some pages offer
buttons you can just
click on to add a feed.
• This allows you to skip
Other Neat Things to Do
• Environmental scanning and market research
• Get weather reports, daily cartoons, sports scores …
• Feed from social bookmarking sites like
• Helvetireader - http://helvetireader.com/
– Firefox greasemonkey userscript
• ticTOCS - http://www.tictocs.ac.uk
• RefWorks – RSS
• TWU Libraries’ journal alerting service page: