STEM CELLS FOR DENTAL TISSUE
MSc Biomedical Science
Manchester Metropolitan University
Stem CellsStem cells:
Develop into differentiated cells
with distinctive features and
Christopherson and Nesti Stem Cell Research & Therapy 2011
Loss of tooth
Images from: www.google.com
Key elements of dental tissue engineering
• Cell attachment & migration
• Permit delivery of growth factors
• Enable influx of oxygen
• Porosity is critical
• Degradation is fundamental
• Should not be toxic
• Ceramics, natural or synthetic
Application of dental stem cells
Dental Pulp SC -Generate bone, dentin complex
-Repair damaged dental tissues
-Induce bone regeneration
Periodontal ligament SC
-Form cementum & alveolar bone
-Cures periodontal lesions in pig
Dental follicle SC -Forms cementum in vivo
SC from apical papilla -Osteoblasts & odondoblasts
-Regenerative endodontic therapy
Advantage of dental stem cells
• New promising therapeutic approach
• Great potential for discovering new treatments & cure
• Can regenerate a damaged tooth
• Differentiate -connective, neural, muscle, bone & dental
• Repair bone damaged by disease or trauma
More research required
DFSCs and SCAPs isolation: needs 3rd molar
Use of embryonic stem cells
Not ethical, not easily applicable
• CAVENDER, A. C., APOS, ASOUZA, R. N., GALLER, K. M., KOEKLUE, U., SCHMALZ, G. & SUGGS, L. J. 2011.
Bioengineering of dental stem cells in a PEGylated fibrin gel. Regenerative Medicine.
• LYMPERI, S., LIGOUDISTIANOU, C., TARASLIA, V., KONTAKIOTIS, E. & ANASTASIADOU, E. 2013. Dental Stem Cells and
their Applications in Dental Tissue Engineering. The open dentistry journal.
• ROSA, V., DELLA BONA, A., CAVALCANTI, B. N. & NÖR, J. E. 2012. Tissue engineering: from research to dental
clinics. Dental Materials, 28, 341-348.
• MORAD, G., KHEIRI, L. & KHOJASTEH, A. 2013. Dental pulp stem cells for in vivo bone regeneration: A systematic
review of literature. Archives of Oral Biology, 58, 1818-1827
• Barbara, Zavan, et al. "Dental Pulp Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering Strategies for Clinical Application on
Odontoiatric Field." (2011).
• Malhotra, Neeraj, and Kundabala Mala. "Regenerative endodontics as a tissue engineering approach: Past, current
and future." Australian Endodontic Journal38.3 (2012): 137-148.