FEATURES / BENEFITS
•A unique feature (perceived such as) of a product or service
• examples : car, weight watcher, ...
•A unique beneﬁt the customer will receive
• example : kids will have eat for tonight, savings, ...
Sales is a success when the product /
service matches exactly the needs or
wants of the customer
• Hedonist motivations : buy impulse coming from the
needs of obtaining pleasure from life
• Oblation motivations : buy impulse coming from the
desire to get some pleasure/good for itself and give something
to others, especially relatives.
• Self-expression motivations : buy impulse coming
from the need of expressing what we are to others.
ABOUT BUYING MOTIVES
Inside motivations which is the origin of the buying,
comes the buying motives.
Those are the reasons, the feelings, that will help the
customer to fulﬁll the buying process.
IDENTIFICATION OF SALES
• Security : the need of being reassured by the brand, the seller or the
• Pride : be fashionable, be or give the impression to be of a certain
• Novelty : need of change
• Convenience : need of well being
• Money : Buying an economy. want to make a good deal
• Sympathy : Affection side, need of making gifts
Global International Insurance Company relies on its network of nearly 12,500
around the world to promote and sell its varied insurance products, including auto,
homeowners, renters and watercraft. With revenues of more than $250 million in
2008, Global International employs 175 at its Detroit, Michigan headquarters.
Because agents selling Global’s products also represent other insurance offerings,
needed to increase channel support for its product lines by providing agents with an
efficient and easy way to promote and sell them. To satisfy its independent agents,
Global International cut lengthy transaction processing delays that often occurred
when agents completed dozens of manual forms and mailed them to headquarters,
where the data was rekeyed. Processing delays were sometimes weeks-long when
return mail trips from headquarters and back again were required so agents could
complete unfinished or correct inaccurate forms.
The XYZ product not only enhanced Global International’s agent services, but also,
company’s application processing time by 68 percent, minimized the possibility of
data entry errors, improved accuracy of the company’s database and reduced annual
administrative costs by $750,000.
The challenges The solution The results
- Reduced administration
costs by 750,000 $
- Eliminated manual
- Lagging sales
- Application errors - Shortened application
Enterprise Sales processing time by 68%
- Repetitive manual
entry The Winner’s solution Minimized errors on
- Inaccurate database
insurance company - Improved database
- Excessive admin
costs - enhanced agent
- Increased sales
TYPE OF RESISTANCE
• Towards the product
• Fears: negative impulse caused by real or imaginary
: negative impulse caused by devalorized buying
impulses on the customer side.
TYPE OF RESISTANCE
• Towards the point of sales / seller
• Fears based on the image of POS/seller.
• Fears of being perceived badly by another person
• Fear of lacking information or being misinformed.
• Fear towards other customers in the same environment
• Fear of going outside without buying anything.
A person enters a shop to buy a hi-ﬁ.
Be able to listen
to music and get pleasure
A doctor wants to buy a mobile phone.
Be reachable everywhere
A family dad with 2 children buys a PC.
Be able to let the
children discover how
a computer works.
A student wants to buy the latest
Need to give a certain image
• Don’t take it personally
• Customer is simply saying : “you have not
convinced me of the value yet”
TYPE OF CUSTOMERS
• RUSHED customer : Act swiftly, in a hurry. seeking less
contacts with direct communication.
• IMPULSEcustomer : Will drive is buying patterns based
on an emotion spotted on a particular moment
• DESTINATION customer : the customer is entering the
sales process with a particular goal and will seek for most
of information he can get.
• BROWSING customer : the customer have an idea of
hat he is looking for but will not seek for particular