What is this thing called:
… or mobile interactive services
for normal people
what is the problem?
some real world motivation
some fun examples
the future …
• how many people here:
– use a mobile phone for voice calls?
– have sent a message from their phone?
– have a camera on their phone?
– have used the camera on their phone?
– have visited a website from their phone?
– have downloaded an app or a game?
• what do you think the answers would be
for the typical “normob” on the street?
x x x x x x x
mobile becoming a serious option
often combined with traditional media
needs to be inclusive
mustn’t be off-putting
• actually all of this can be said in general
about good mobile services …
2D bar codes
Patent No. 6,999,573 31st Jan 2006
Some dull stats
• in 2008, 166.6m handsets (Western Europe) are
registered as MMS-enabled. That is a 95%
• over 90% of all handsets currently being sold
have a cameraphone.
• in the 11-19 demographic 53% regularly use
picture messaging, with 85% having used it at
• in the 16-34 demographic 78% have used picture
messaging with 48% using it regularly.
* Source TGI Youth Q2 2008
x x x x
• The simplest form of interactivity
• Replaces SMS and keywords etc.
• But have to ask why bother …
• … large number of media which can’t
necessarily be adapted?
x x x x x
• activation of Vodafone’s
• take penalties by taking a
picture of where you want
to aim the ball
• send in by MMS to see
whether you score or not
• true user interaction
Aim with your camera phone See the outcome in your web
• Nike PhotoiD by AKQA is a great example
• run as part of the
Vodafone Live! Music
• think blackpool beach –
users stick their heads
through the display
• picture sent in by
MMS, heads cut out, and
incorporated into a music
Snap your mates on a camera phone See them in a personalised video
• Think bluescreen without the screen
• Automatic detection and extraction of
the faces in any image.
• Much more suitable for viral apps.
• Currently all face-like
• In future will distinguish
between these and real faces
Engaging a Mobile 2D media 3D products
Generation Connecting to Live Events Easy Access to
• General Visual Search?