Where is Hengistbury Head and
what is it like?
1. Describe the location of Hengistbury
Head in words.
2. Use Google Earth satellite and Bing
Maps (OS layer) to see if there is any
evidence to answer your key questions.
Your maps must:
• Use two different types of map : Ordnance Survey (OS map) AND Google
Earth satellite map
• Show the location of the study site – where is Hengistbury Head?
• Describe the area in detail
– For example, geology, existing sea defences, names of the landforms
and processes (Headland, Spit, Mudeford Spit created by Longshore
drift and used for…. ; The beach huts rent for £950 per week (source)
• Identify some key land uses & any distinctive features
• Link to your introduction / key questions
• Link to theory (e.g. longshore drift, erosion, etc,.)
• You could (for extra marks)
– Include images within your map
– Provide some analysis of the features
– Include secondary data – e.g. the importance of the a landform in
stopping coastal flooding of Christchurch, cost of sea defences
– Start a bibliography of source information
Aim for detailed annotations per map and must be printed out.
Map 1: Ordnance Survey Map showing location details of Hengistbury Head
This area is
Mudeford Spit has been
created by longshore drift
and is a landform of
deposition. It is mainly
used for beach huts as
seen in Photo A. The spit
is important for tourism.Photo A