This presentation will give you some information about FedEx technology usage. The procedure of their parcel delivery and use of MIS can be seen in this presentation. Business processes, supply chain management, customer management of FedEx is given in this ppt.
• FedEx Corporation, originally known as FDX Corporation, is
an American global courier delivery services company
headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee.
• The name "FedEx" is a syllabic abbreviation of the name of the
company's original air division, Federal Express, which was
used from 1973 until 2000.
• Products-Post delivery, express mail, freight forwarding, third-
• Services- FedEx Express (Orange "Ex")
FedEx Ground (Green "Ex")
FedEx SmartPost (Grey "Ex")
FedEx Freight (Red "Ex")
FedEx Trade Networks (Yellow "Ex")
Input Process Output
Package pick up,
Volume and weight
Conveyor Belt ,etc.
Collection of packages,
Scanning of barcodes,
Sorting on belt,
Transportation to the
Destination point, etc.
Delivery of package to
desired destination ,
Case is about-
• How FedEx works: Enterprise system
• Type of Business Processes And Information systems used in FedEx
• How package is shipped and handled at the FedEx facility from one point
Supply Chain Management
1) Collection –
Pick up the package from home.
Pick up the package from sorting centre
2) Scanning –
Scan the package from a portable device which is interfaced with
the central system
Checking details of product using volume and weight calculator
Manual segregation of Un-sized and un-read packages.
3) Transportation –
From home to hub/ sorting centre
From hub to jet
From jet to destination
4) Delivery –
Delivery of package to their destination. 6
In time delivery to the destination
Safe and secure delivery
Continue monitoring of the flights and the package status
Availability of current status of package to customer
Providing high customer satisfaction
Information systems used are
Transaction Process System(TPS)
* Volume and weight calculator
* Price Tracking system.
* Destination locator
* Package Handling and controlling system at airport.
Management Information System(MIS)
* Continue monitoring of the flights and the package status and updating
* Help middle level manager to coordinates the arrival of trucks
and monitors airport and airplane conditions based on data provided
The type of information systems that was not shown in the video which
might be used in FedEx:
Decision Support System(DSS)
* What would happen if delivery become late for some hours or days?
* What would happen if sorting stopped because of any reason for one day?
Customer Relationship Management System(CRM)
This provide information to coordinate all the business processes
which deal with customer. This helps in:
- Firms identity
- Attract and retain most profitable customer
- Better service to existing customer
Knowledge Management System(KMS)
Better performance than other because having better knowledge about
how to create, produce and deliver the product and service
To integrate the business processes in manufacturing and production,
finance and other functional areas into single software system.
Executive Support System (ESS)
- To turn the data provided from the TPS and MIS into useful
- This reports can be used by executive level managers for quick access
to reports coming from all FedEx levels and departments such as
billing, cost accounting, staffing, scheduling, and more.
1) Enterprise application help businesses become more flexible
and productive by
- coordinating their business processes more closely
- integrating group of processes
- so they focus on efficient management of resources and
From video we can see above points.
2) The ideal enterprise system could control all major business
in real time via single software architecture.
FedEx system enables efficient response to customer
package shipment orders using software
3) There are four major enterprise application:
- Enterprise system(ERP)
- Supply chain management system(SCM)
- Customer Relationship Management System(CRM)
- Knowledge Management System(KMS)
All of above applications are used in FedEx.
4) Permits the integration of the computer systems that run all phases of
an FedEx operations to facilitate cooperation and coordination of
work across the enterprise.
Fedex follows a Transaction processing systems.
Technology can be used to give your business a competitive edge
with better communication, enhanced security etc.
Computers are used to keep track of vital pieces of business
information, including client activities, billing and pay roll data.
A database can be used to store information about clients,link
services directly to the billing system.
FedEx name has become synonymous with a tradition of
automation, customer service and technological leadership.
Provides services to its customers like:
• The physical transportation
• Distribution of packages and the information systems that
identify the location of a package at any time.
First to install
• Computers in vans
• Provide sophisticated automation in the mailroom
• Develop tracking capabilities and software.
FedEx also provides
• Shipment visibility, status notifications and alerts about
critical shipment events.
• FedEx identifies FedEx Express shipments by associating
them to a customer.
• Match account number or company name and address,
placing flexibility and control of information.
FedEx already have a very efficient shipping process.
Containers are in different shapes designed specifically to fit
into the aircraft.
FedEx can increase efficiency by
• Unify the diverse markets by standardizing its product.
• An integrated computer tracking system can also be used.
• A system can also be used to communicate with smart
phones issued to couriers