• The Windows Store ships on every Windows 8 device, and is the only way to install Metro apps.• There are a variety of ways to monetize your app in the Windows Store beyond keeping up to 80% of revenue• Use the Trial option to • Develop in-app • Manage your own • Use interesting and introduce your app purchases to offer commerce platform relevant advertising and then upgrade to premium experiences for 100% of revenue paid version
Cut The Rope and Tankster aretwo examples of games that takefull advantage of the Windows 8platformCut the Rope is a criticallyacclaimed puzzle game with anestablished brandTankster showcases Windows 8features as they apply to a turnbased multiplayer experience
• Windows 8 accommodates a multitude of interaction variations• Keyboard and Mouse interaction is still an important consideration in designing game controls
• Elevates content• Quickly ports experiences from other platforms
• Elements of your game’s brand are introduced without the clutter of unnecessary UI• Edge UI helps manage multiple games while keeping the canvas available for important startup functions
• Global navigation elements such as the app bar are consistent and familiar for users• Semantic Zoom allows users to quickly navigate between different levels
• Edge UI leaves the screen clear of clutter, but keeps needed functions close by• Cool Scenarios • Tutorials • Messaging • Status Updates • Accessing Game Menus
• Enter pause mode from the canvas or via the app bar• Games automatically pause if fully occluded by other apps or when the charm bar is invoked• Pause Scenarios • Timed games (hiding controls and gameplay upon pause) • Turn based games • Games which are not playable in snap view can force pause
• Sensors in the tablet can feel more than touch• Sensor Fusion provides very accurate motion detection which some games may be able to leverage• It brings games off the screen and into the physical world
• Shaking the device refreshes content to current turn• A simple implementation of the accelerometer• Another way to keep secondary functions out of the way, but readily available
• Interact with other users in the game using the on screen keyboard
The settings charm provides afamiliar and consistent way tomodify an apps settingsMore settings menus can beadded for accountmanagement or game specificmenus as well as help andtutorials.
• The Share Contract provides users with a familiar and natural way to share content between two apps• Drive user acquisition to accompanying website by using the share contract to post to users’ social apps• Cool Scenario: • Share progress with your friends and family
Extend your experiencebeyond Windows 8 and pushyour content to devices onyour local network.The ‘PlayTo’ feature allowsrelevant controls to beaccessed on the first devicewithout compromising thedisplay on the other.
Alternatively the display canbe duplicated on both devicesto have the same experienceon a larger screen.
Offer a trial of your gameTime based or feature basedtrials are supportedWindows Store Commerceplatform supports one timepurchases, in-app purchasesand downloadable contentAd supported and 3rd partycommerce are also available
Drive engagement beyondstandard gameplay withachievements.Leaderboards keeps users engagedin your game and encouragesother users in their network toreturn and maintain their rankings.Utilize location services to accesslocal standings.
Drive engagement with your game by exposingcontent with App to App picking. This allowsyour game to share it’s content with other appsseamlessly and consistently,. Your game canalso consume content from other apps.