Or Tackling the Elephant in the Room
Why do we need to have difficult
At Some Point You
Just Pull Off the
Plaster, And It Hurts,
But Then It’s Over
and You’re Relieved
Tips for Success
1. Conquer your fear – no one likes conflict.
2. Do your homework – prepare
3. Make it about behaviour not the person (performance).
4. Be Positive – don’t just say what is wrong; say what and how it can be
5. Choose words carefully.
6. Find the right setting.
7. Acknowledge, listen, and pay attention.
8. Be consistent.
9. Follow Up.
5 minute …..Difficult Conversation Plan
What is the general reason? What happens if it is not
What is some specific evidence that is there is a problem? The
more specific the better?
When and Where?
When are you going to have the conversation; where are you
going to have the conversation?
How are you going to signpost that this conversation is
What are your key points; what are you going to say
What questions might the other person have?